Tuning? Whats That All About Then?

There are many well respected tuners out there I personally have always had my rifles tuned by Tony and the team at Sandwell Field Sports. I am so happy with the results time and time again he will always get my business.

If you find a tuner your happy with then stick with them. There are plenty out there these days and some would say we are spoilt with choice.

Most tuners work from home which puts me off as I'm not saying because of this they are not as good. What I am saying is I worry about my rifles to much. Ie will I have come back if the rifle suffers a fault. How easy is it to get the rifle back to them. What rights as a consumer do I have. At least with Sandwell they are a well established company with great customer service. I've never had an issue with not getting a fault fixed instantly there.

Ultimately it's your money and your rifle so you pick your choice and run with it.

I can't rate Tony and the team high enough at Sandwell Field Sports.

Phil

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Well, a lot of good advice there.

I am very greatfull for the responses and the debate. I appologise for not contributing much myself and taking such a long time to acknowledge you guys responses.

I really don't know what I'm going to do yet as far as tuning is concerned, as I say I recon the gun is better than me at the moment but I haven't had the chance to get out and hunt with it. I suppose that will be the ultimate test of me and the gun in its present condition. I have a few other things rattling around in my head. I can get good grouping from the gun and I out to 50m or so from a supported firing position when I'm all nice and comfortable.

The problems arise when I try to stand up or sit unsupported to shoot. I'm no weakling but the gun is so heavy my accuracy is completely lost. Is it the case that I will only ever be able to shoot from a stationary position and wait for quarry to come to me by baiting or vermin control where I know the location of the vermin and I set up accordingly. I've looked up techniques on the internet for different shooting positions and although they all make perfect sense. When I try to adopt the positions due to the sheer weight of the gun, I literately have a couple of seconds to get a shot off before I am completely incapable of keeping my sights on anything. I would not take a shot in these circumstances as I don't want to injure anything and cause any undue suffering. Should always be one shot one kill.

So can I hunt with a under leaver springer, not on a stalk anyway, but definitely from a static position.

I am hoping to get a couple of permissions in the summer and I was hoping I would be able to stalk rabbits, etc with my HW77K but there is no chance of that unless you guys have some pearls of wisdom on shooting from different positions in wooded areas etc on a stalk. Prone in a field or standing/sitting with a supported firing position isn't a problem. I don't want to go down the PCP route I've shot them and although accurate they feel dead to me. I was actually thinking of .22 rim fire on a FAC but that seems excessive at this time.

Again any advice given will be greatly appreciated. I will reply quicker as the fire fight at work is getting under control.

ATVB

Steve.

Oh and Kgbmark, I will look into turning up at this shoot as that's a great offer, as I was saying in my last post the fire fight at work is abating so I should be able to get down there.

Cheers mate,

ATB

Steve.