Longnetting Pole Length

lpkinz

I'm new to this and have read a fair amount posted on here so I no you guys can help. I now have my 4z 4" mesh 150 meter long net. I'm going to make a home made quick set setup. I'm using 100% bagging. 2x nets 37.5 yards long. I have started my basket and am now looking at making my poles. I have castration rings on order to attach net to pole. My net 3ft in height. My question is how May poles for each net and how long should they be. If you see anything wrong with my master plan please let me now as knowledge is something I'm looking to gain. Also am I correct in going with 100% bagging? Cheers.

• Like 1

3ft in height? is that stretched wide?? im clueless other than settin them an catching with them and lifting them, i set my nets at 18 inch/20 inch high at most, few inch at bottom to go in ground and few inch extra pole above top line for handling, so depending on how high, how much extra you want just buy or make some to suit

• Like 2

When you say the net is 3ft high how did you measure it? Its a genuine question just for me to get an idea of what you mean. the rigged by halves part is right that is the nets will be half the stretched length of the net.

TC

Edited by tiercel
  • Like 2

Cheers for getting back. I'll measure the mesh and total height in the morning and get back to you for more assistance. Another question I just thought about is attaching the poles to the net. The end poles will weave through the end mesh but how do you connect the rings to the poles + net. Cheers guys.

• Like 1

As Tomo says, I do the same.

First I thread a piece of twine through the C ring then thread it over the pole.

2011_0828Castrationbands0003.jpg

Next make a clove hitch with you running lines over the poles.

2011_0828Castrationbands0004.jpg

Then you use the piece of twine to pull the ring away from the pole and insert aspoon handle downwards through the gap created.

2011_0828Castrationbands0005.jpg

Next twist the spoon handle 180 degrees and lever the loop created over the top of the pole and on to the top of the clove hitch.

2011_0828Castrationbands0006.jpg

2011_0828Castrationbands0009.jpg

Pull the spoon handle out and the job is done, all that needs to be done then is wet the pole and slide the ring into the position you want it on the pole.

2011_0828Castrationbands0011.jpg

TC

• Like 3

I have now part way through the set up. Bagging and poles in position just ready to attach. Do the top and bottom lines need to be tight ish when set up? I'll try post a photo I've taken if I can work out where to attach them? When the poles are attached with the c rings in this way are they moveable?

I have now part way through the set up. Bagging and poles in position just ready to attach. Do the top and bottom lines need to be tight ish when set up? I'll try post a photo I've taken if I can work out where to attach them? When the poles are attached with the c rings in this way are they moveable?

Do you mean up and down the poles? Yes as long as you wet the pole they will move. If you mean along the lines, then they will not. To add an attachment once you have done the writing scroll down the page and you will see where to make that attachment.

TC

Edited by tiercel