What Am I Doing Wrong ?

For the first time ever I have ventured into the world of nv, I have always used a lamp and filters before.

So..I bought my self a pulsar gsx1x20 and have a n1000 ir laser on it.

I played about round the farm yard popping a few rats, all seemed well, managed to set it up, get a fairly good pic, could easily pick off the rats.

Last night I decided to give it a proper run out on some paddocks for buggsy, it was hellish, struggled like mad to get any sort of focus, at a set distance, with nothing in the picture it was ok, but any fence posts nearby, bushes, trees etc, it went wild, bright flashes, couldn't see anything, and bearing in mind, the whole area is fenced into small grazing, was a nightmare.

The picture is not as clear as I would have hoped at the best of times, but I packed up in the end due to frustration.

Now, my first thought is the scope is not right for the add on, I know it has no parallax adjustment, which is recommended, but right now, do I want to spend money on the scope if the picture will still not be that great, or do I look at other nv's ? Or is it really a case that the scope will make all the difference ?

With this nv, what range should I be getting ? I reckon the best I had was about 35-40yds

The scope I am using is only a cheap hawke sport 3-9x50ao, really just my day scope for the air rifle.

Money is not a huge problem if it does what I want/need.

Any input appreciated.

Edited by Rabid

but any fence posts nearby, bushes, trees etc, it went wild, bright flashes, couldn't see anything, and bearing in mind, the whole area is fenced into small grazing, was a nightmare.

Sounds like ir reflected back at you,try adjusting the laser focus/power output....I take it it is the n1000ap?

Edited by weebster

but any fence posts nearby, bushes, trees etc, it went wild, bright flashes, couldn't see anything, and bearing in mind, the whole area is fenced into small grazing, was a nightmare.

Sounds like ir reflected back at you,try adjusting the laser focus/power output....I take it it is the n1000ap?

Hi, I don't think the power can be adjusted at all, it has an adjustable beam, spot to flood, but as far as I am aware that's it.

Yes, It would make sense it's the ir been reflected, but without having it on then the vision is awfull.

I have had a play with it today and mounted everything better, just got to wait for tonight and play with the focus etc, see if it improves.

After last night I am a good mind to flog it and find a dedicated night vision scope and do away with the idea of an add on, I only ever use this gun at night so won't be a problem.