What Do You Do With Ferrets When Away?

I was in jail for 7 months my misses cannot touch them at all so she changed the water everyday and put dry food in when they were sleeping. And my old man could only come up and clean them 1 time a week. Not ideal but I can't complain. This went on for 7 months all ferrets were fine when I got out that was 7 ferrets I had at the time aswell I have 5 now 7 was too many. So yes mate just put clip a couple big water bottles to cage and fill a dog bowl up with dry food they'll be fine mate

i have my 17 yr old daughter who is very self conscious when out with her friends, but absolutely loves all the ferrets. she spends at least an hour a day if not longer tending the ferrets. cleaning them out. playing with them. guess im lucky.

• Like 1

a pal of mine went away for a week and got his dad to take care of the ferrets when he came back his dad told him that one of them had somehow got out and he found it roaming around the garden (a large hob) so he put it back in the hutch, my pal opened the hutch and found he had an additional ferret, the large hob his dad put back in the hutch was an escapee from another hutch somewhere in the town, but the hob looked well chuffed he had been locked up with a couple of ladies for a week!!!

• Like 3

I'm going to hold up my hands now and say I don't clean mine every two days. As long as they have water, they can happily go a day without food, so it's no massive drama if they do stuff themselves silly, and run out. Just worry about security and water :thumbs:

• Like 2

I bet half the people on here only clean them out once in a blue moon anyway! wouldn't worry about it pal, especially if you've got a bit hutch :thumbs:

thats so true and it really fck me off why have ferrets if you only look after them part time would you run about in your sh!t the nead cleaned evry day

I bet half the people on here only clean them out once in a blue moon anyway! wouldn't worry about it pal, especially if you've got a bit hutch :thumbs:

thats so true and it really fck me off why have ferrets if you only look after them part time would you run about in your sh!t the nead cleaned evry day

That's bollocks. They don't need to be cleaned every day, it depends how you house them.

That's bollocks. They don't need to be cleaned every day, it depends how you house them.

My thoughts entirely.

Mine are in a 7 x 5 court and shit in 2 corners. Could leave them a fortnight and they wouldnt be treading in it. Obviously I dont, I clean them every other day or every third day.

My thoughts entirely.

Mine are in a 7 x 5 court and shit in 2 corners. Could leave them a fortnight and they wouldnt be treading in it. Obviously I dont, I clean them every other day or every third day.

Aye mate, I have 5 jills in a court that is I think 10 foot long by 4.5 foot wide, and 5 foot tall. . . . . . they shit in the far corner from the end that they have sleeping boxes. . . . .I clean the shit corner about every 3rd day and their bed, if they have been eating a lot of carcasses and its warm. . . . but give the whole thing a clean once a week, to give the concrete a scrub etc. . . . .

If you kept 3 in a rabbit hutch I can see the necessity of doing it every day though. . . .

• 2 weeks later...

When i picked up my first ferret after she had been speyed,i was actually heading away for a long weekend going to my nan's 90th birthday. I got a large cage that would fit in the back of my little hatch back car,and took her with me. I needed to keep an eye on her wound and the ferret in case she messed around with it. She had glue to hold herself together instead of stitches. She did a wonderful job and was a delight. My aunt and uncle simply adored her and even set up a dog box that had a warmer in it so she wouldnt get cold (we were up north so it was already warmer). They had ferrets before and got rid of all the pipe runs in their backyard. It wouldnt surprise me at all to discover in the near future that they have got themselves one or two next time i go up.

they'll be fine mate as said give them a cleanout a lot of water ive got 3 water bottles that I use and just throw them some food in pidgeons are good mine wont eat rabbit so birds , liver and dried food honestly mate they'll be sound I wouldn't worry to much