Anybody Work Kerry Blue Terriers

pedro68

Hi there , i was wondering if anybody has worked kerry's. I have a bitch that is keen when out in the woods , nose is always down or she will scan the trees for squirrels as well , she hunts for rabbits and has been off after hares a few times and as we pass a copse of woods in one off the fields where we live she goes after the rats there and has started digging like hell to get to them , i stood and watched her one day and she was soon only visable by her tail sticking out the hole and not for leaving until she got something.her nature is good and not dog aggresive at all unlike my old kerry dog , he was murder and would fight any dog that approached him , but once he had been slowly introduce with another dog he was ok. i just wondered if people still work these dogs as im tempted to take her out shooting with me and see how she gets on ,what kind of training would i need to do with her as she is 3 years old now and i think needs to be more steady as she runs about like hell and i recon would scare off anything i was hoping to shoot , is it to late to train her up.cheers

Peter

an old mate of mine had a pair said they worked. we went carp fishing an these dogs were allowed to hunt around the lake, they did it an chased a few moorhens i let my lakie out bivvy she searched the bank an bolted a mink and then killed a rat under the peg next to the kerrys peg lol i have a lurcher here with a dash of kerry blood an i dont think its added anything to be honest,she is a crackin bunny dog but lacks that fire the kerry and wheaten are meant to add..

would i own a kerry after wat iv seen, no chance..

go read the fitter bull terrier thread for first hand accounts of kerrys working