Bsa S10 Carbine Is Back

Hi all

I just wanted to recommend the work of Rancid Tom from the BSAOG.

I was having issues with my .22 S10 and had wanted it tuned for a while, but life being life, as soon as you have made the decision to get a tune, fate comes and demands that you have other things to do first!

Anyway, after both the S10 and R10 buddy bottle valves going up to valve heaven, I was left PCPless, as my S410 TDR is still an ongoing home tune project (4 months and counting). I love my .177 HW77 and always will, but there are times that a multishot PCP is simply a far better tool and I prefer .22 for hunting, so the need to stop procrastinating and start actioning was here!

Rancid Tom came with a lot of members of the BSAOG forum happy to extol his virtues, plus he was 39 miles away and would cost about half the cost of posting the gun anywhere to drive the S10 up and meet the man himself.

Anyway long story about a guy who clearly knows his stuff, is a nice guy and is happy to share his knowledge, cut short, I left the gun with him last Saturday and picked it up Saturday just gone. I was delighted with the one week turn around!

I finally got the gun out in the field yesterday and the difference is staggering. As proven by Tom's chrono, power is up from an erratic 9.4 ftlb's with a 20 fps spread and random power spikes when I last choroned it, to an average 11.3ftlb's and just a 3 fps spread over a 15 shot string after re - leading using JSB exact heavies! Pretty chuffed is not the word!

I started re - zeroring the scope and re-leading with AA field 5.52s at 25 meters and was surprised to see how tight the groups were to begin with, happily grouping 5 shot one hole groups and only requiring 8 clicks up and 5 accross to bring it on zero.

After about 30 shots I set up a new target and started the process over, first shot practically dead center, second shot was a flyer, two inches to the left, no worries, third shot I didn't see hit, but saw dust kick up from behind the target, fourth shot same thing, and fifth hit to create a very slightly larger one pellet hole.

A bit concerned as to where shots two, three and four had gone I tried again, but this time just using the first hole shot as a target, as before, dust kicking up behind but not a sound of a hit on shots two and three, number four was slightly to the left and five I didn't see.. I admit I went in to spasm, thinking that the regulator had gone bonkers again and pellets were going all over the place!

On closer inspection of the target, pellets were literally going through the same hole, time and time again. I'm not that greater shot so this really was the gun and it's consistency and not me! I was freakin delighted!!

I spent the next couple of hours setting up spent 12 bore cartridges, head on as targets, from 15 - 50 yards and happily sending them flying in the stiff breeze. The gun is awesome, the ping from the hammer spring has gone, thanks to a replacement, the cocking cycle is very positive and it sounds quieter on firing and just feels new. It's how I imagine S10s were meant to be when designed, but I only paid £400 for gun and scope two years ago, then £100 for the tune! I really am chuffed with it and the difference between what it was and is now.

Sorry about no pictures but honestly was enjoying myself to much to think!

With that and the XTX tuned R10's buddy bottle valve replaced for £32.50 via Tom and back on form, the next decision is which to pick up when heading out... I love decisions like this!!