Mentor In North West

McKay

Just a quick intro I'm Liam, I'm 22 and I've had a lifelong passion for birds of prey/falconry but never really had the freedom to pursue it, I'm closer now to owning a bird than ever before but before I make that commitment I'd like to be shown first hand the ins and outs of owning a bird. No matter how many books I've read or forums I ask advice on nothing compares to first hand experience. I know no one will be flying as the season over but the sooner I can start this part of the education the better. Feel free to pm me if you want contact details etc.. And I hope to hear from someone soon,

Thanks for your time,

Liam.

how many times you actually been out with a bird or just seen on at a show ?

how much hunting land you acquired before even thinking of getting a bird and what quarry you got to go at ?

Edited by grovsey

Never been lucky enough to go out flying with a hawk, simple reason is I've never known anyone who flies them. I used to handle them regularly at a garden centre sort of thing who used to have a resident bird of prey keeper who I tried to get matey with and pester him to let me put a glove on and have a go but that closed down last year and they just disappeared. As for permission I haven't managed to acquire any yet but still in the process of asking. I'm still a couple of seasons off owning a hawk bit as I say it's the closest I've ever been and I'd like to get to know first hand what to expect in owning a bit of prey before I make that commitment.

Atb

liam that lad was his name phil if it was he lives on the lane your down that end are,nt you ask about Degsy

The fella I used to talk to was called Steve if I remember rightly, I think he got f*cked off from there because he was never there to look after his birds and left it to Paul who owned it, he never hunted I don't think he just done shows and that. After he left a young lad started who might be who your talking about I remember chatting to him and he was saying he goes all over the country flying his birds but I never seen much of him then I went one day and everything was gone, not sure he would remember me.

Am in Kirkby area and flying my Harris come August if you wish to come with me I hunt Chesire mostly and Wales of weekend

I'd be more than happy to tag along mate.

I'll even put a full tank in the van and take a willing mentor to wherever his hunting ground was if that spurs people on to take an interest

• Like 1

Best advice I can give any new lad that is starting out

Get out with as many different hawks falcons owls as possible so you can get best view of falconry then choice the paths you wish for example

Hunt hawks

Hunt falcons

Or just simple fly for fun

• 2 months later...