My Grandad made himself a combined walking and shooting stick - took him weeks to find the right bit of wood. He had a shoulder injury, so couldn't raise his right arm that high, and had poor power in it, so he only used the stick for balance, rather than putting full weight through, but needed the shooting stick to take the weight of the gun. He had a stick with standard V top, that also had a side branch, that went fairly vertical, and had a v above the main stalk.

The downside was, he was also very adept at swinging the stick and smacking me lightly on the back of the legs if I wasn't behaving !

He made me a walking stick - I still have it, 20 years later. Don't see craftwork like that so much these days.

Just looking at those. They would not be that difficult to make, the top of the bipod could even be made from buffalo horn married to the sticks of your choice. You might have a problem sourcing the magnets but the rest is really quite simple for a proficient stick maker.

TC

• 2 weeks later...

If I had a proper workshop at the moment I'd attempt this. I made some sticks last year as pressies for some mates this Christmas. I made a set of 3 all from the same antler, one for me and the other two for my best mates.

This would make a cool project to try and make nicely. I had initially thought it was a single stick cut along its length with a 'twist' to the cut to create the gun rest section. However looking closer I think that all the 'halves' are actually cut from their own stick, meaning it takes two lengths (and a fair bit of wastage) to create each single complete stick. I could be wrong, but that's probably how I'd do it. It would be a fun project indeed!

Here's my work this far:

IMAG1321_zps2e6af57a.jpg

IMAG1320_zpsb5f13577.jpg

Hope you don't mind the slight thread-jacking!

Jim

*I've looked again, I think I'm wrong about how they're done. I reckon I've worked it out now and if I had the kit right now I'd be in the garage as I type trying to make it!! :laugh::laugh:

Edited by WoodsmanJim