Guest Ditch_Shitter

TF; What sized coni's are they, mate? That the 50 or 55 ones, which ever they are, ye get to use on rats over there? Just wondered if they may be the bigger ones ~ 116? Sorry. Not a trick question. Those things are really just a bit after my time and I never honestly have got my head round their numeric names. I think in terms of inches jaw span. Why can't we just talk about a 3", 4" 5", 6" conibear? All this 110, 116, 220 stuff just does my head in :(

Anyway, just asking because I see how he, technically, looks 'caught wrong' - though still most effectively made dead! I also see the top one's managed to get past one before ending his time in the Fenn. I've found 2 1/2" jaws to be f*kkas for rats. myself. Really gives them a necklace!

Point of all this is; I too feed the birds religiously and so, of course, attract rats to that part of my land. Only I'm loathe to bait them in their holes, for risk of Small Dog digging it out. I've tried boxes, with 'Blank' bait blocks ~ birds get in them and feed! Fenn traps up tunnels are 'good'. But I just wonder if some dinky little Coni's might not have the edge, due to a small bird more likely hopping over the triggers :hmm:

TF; What sized coni's are they, mate? That the 50 or 55 ones, which ever they are, ye get to use on rats over there? Just wondered if they may be the bigger ones ~ 116? Sorry. Not a trick question. Those things are really just a bit after my time and I never honestly have got my head round their numeric names. I think in terms of inches jaw span. Why can't we just talk about a 3", 4" 5", 6" conibear? All this 110, 116, 220 stuff just does my head in :(

Anyway, just asking because I see how he, technically, looks 'caught wrong' - though still most effectively made dead! I also see the top one's managed to get past one before ending his time in the Fenn. I've found 2 1/2" jaws to be f*kkas for rats. myself. Really gives them a necklace!

Point of all this is; I too feed the birds religiously and so, of course, attract rats to that part of my land. Only I'm loathe to bait them in their holes, for risk of Small Dog digging it out. I've tried boxes, with 'Blank' bait blocks ~ birds get in them and feed! Fenn traps up tunnels are 'good'. But I just wonder if some dinky little Coni's might not have the edge, due to a small bird more likely hopping over the triggers :hmm:

Wow,.. :icon_eek: Certainly going for a wee bit of 'overkill' there TF... :cry::cry::laugh:

Although the various sizes of BodyGripper LEGALY available to USE in the UK,..the 116 & 110 will certainly take rats (if set nice and light),...I much prefer the smaller 55 for these critters....In fact,.I personaly believe that with a quick bit of 'modification' the 55 COULD be a superb trap for Grey Squirrels.....Anyway,.. :whistling: All the best, and good trapping, cheers,..CHALKWARREN... :drink:

NFS05009.jpg

They're both 116's Ditch...the rat in the fenn didn't necessarily get past the 116's as theres a stream to the right of the log and the rats are have been making there own access from underneath the log between the 116's. One day a week or so ago i went and the fenn had two ratlets in it :icon_eek: thought that must be one in a million...went the next day and it had another two :icon_eek: As they were so thick on i added the two 116's.

Overkill Chalkwarren :laugh: ...I've another six traps to set up in the area, when I've time :toast: otherwise they'll be eating and pissing on my strawberries :laugh: I'd love some of the 55's, but i just can't stretch to them at the moment. So I'll have to make do with the 116's. I was thinking about modifying the triggers, would this be legal? :drink:

Edited by T.F.Student

hi tf student, try a bit of snaring as well it adds to the fun and only costs pennies, you can find all the info on trapping/snarining put on here by peg & gun a while back. just found it on page 44

Edited by red dog
They're both 116's Ditch...the rat in the fenn didn't necessarily get past the 116's as theres a stream to the right of the log and the rats are have been making there own access from underneath the log between the 116's. One day a week or so ago i went and the fenn had two ratlets in it :icon_eek: thought that must be one in a million...went the next day and it had another two :icon_eek: As they were so thick on i added the two 116's.

Overkill Chalkwarren :laugh: ...I've another six traps to set up in the area, when I've time :toast: otherwise they'll be eating and pissing on my strawberries :laugh: I'd love some of the 55's, but i just can't stretch to them at the moment. So I'll have to make do with the 116's. I was thinking about modifying the triggers, would this be legal? :drink:

Hi T F,...yes,.you can modify the triggers in several ways,.even use 'coni Pans' to give the rodent somewhere to place his feet or nose,. :laugh: You can even attach a bit of bait onto the triggers,..NO,.its not that the 116 is overkill,.its more to do with the jaw spread. The 55 is slightly narrower and hopefully ensures a cleaner kill :thumbs: Try MAKING the target species approach your traps from the front .....avoid 'foul catches' :yes:

All the best,..CHALKWARREN.. :drink:

Cheers RedDog, I have thought of having a go, and the topic was great. The only thing is, i just couldn't risk catching any neighbours cats, its bad enough "there" squirrels have disapeared :doh: Also, i wouldn't want to catch any pheasants, ducks or blackbirds etc that are constantly grubbing around.

Found this picture of a coni pan Chalkwarren Hardwood%20Coni%20Pan.jpg but how do they fix to the trap?

I've a tunnel ready to go in today, so i'll modify the set up a bit and have a go at putting food on the triggers. Cheers