The Upcoming Season

Hows everyones season been. Mine has been utterly rubbish.... i think the rabbit population is getting down every year. Still last years spring no wonder theres no rabbits. Been no rabbits their all on farm land where im going to ask for permission the next season. Ive just been ferreting really and caught nowt. Got a 3 year od lurcher so will be ready to bring on in august if i calculated that correctly. the problem around here is too many lurcher lads going out the wrong time of year getting all the rabbits and ruining it for others. thats the bad side in the sport. hopefully rabbit population will be sorted for next year!

• Like 1

iv the same problem around by me lads out all year lamping and ferreting all of them are poachers lads with lurchers after anything that moves.....i had permission on a farm about 5 mins walk from my house and with the amount of people that walk through it with dogs all day everyday it wasnt worth the hassle.. i have afew other spots but after some more land with game on

It was the same for me a couple of years ago. I went away and had a think of country roads and places that are out of the way - that no one else had thought of asking.

I found that farms that are close to towns or main roads had nothing much on them which is probably because everyone else has thought the same as you. I went for a drive down loads of country lanes just to see where it brought me out and stopped at farms along the way. Now, some of my permission holds good numbers compared to the amount of rabbits around here (apart from this year due to the low numbers in general).

I'm the same as you lurcherlad, there's a lot of lurcher lads around here (i live in a village but I could probably name a good 10 lurcher lads that I know fairly well within about 5 miles of me - thats without any that I don't know of) but you've got to think outside of the box to get yourself some decent permission mate!

ATB for next year

Sam

Nest year for me was 2010 ferreting and getting 23 rabbits in total with about 4 hours out! Its hard to get permission around here because the lurcher lads round here just poach and dont respect the land they work their lurchers on they leave gates open and scare the livestock. Ive just got to keep going for permission hopefully one day i will ahve some might try today but the snow dosent help. Theres alo of lurcher lads ive seen many of them with different dogs etc. Theres barley anything left i only live in a small village and theres alot of country side around. what do you thinks the best possible way to get it just knock. when i do it i sound cheeky like in a disrespectful was. and ideas on what to start on ahaha. ATB

This is by far the worst season iv had yet and honestly dont EVER wanna come close too this again. Mines been nothing but injuryes and loseing my young sapling begining of the season

But youve just gotta carry on carrying on ;)

Lost a young dog my self start of season.Nearly every day out i wondered how he would be getting on.

But otherwise had a good one you just have to put in the miles to find fresh ground,No point walking ground you know theres nothing on.

• Like 1

alright lads, ive just been bringing my pup on this season, letting him watch and learn but i can only name a cupple times were hes seen more than 3 kills a night, around my way lurchers are as common as the cold and everyone is into it but all pochers with all the gear ne idea, they go around all year round, im haveing to travel a good 20 - 40 mile to get a decent night out, im gonna go out tonight but with the snow down im a bit unsure what yal think, much point or not?