Recall

Alright lads, Ive got a 10mnth old lurcher and his recall is perfect, untill he gets on a scent, he might aswell be deaf, because hes gone and nothing i scream will bring him back. is this a normal thing for lurchers? i wouldnt mind it but it can be embarrassing if theres loads of people walking dogs and he speeds off into the distance. dangerous too if were near a road!! any help lads??

ATB

Jim

The worst thing you can do is as its fooking off is to repeatedly shout its name that will only allow the dog to think that it's ok to run from you and not respond to the command best thing to do is turn and walk away , go back to recall at large distances but my dogs would fook of if on a strong scent lol

Work on basic recall in an enclosed space.

Don't bo**ock the dog when it eventually comes back in.

My staffie x whippet is 8, and unsafe to let off the lead. She was a rescue and was ok at first (1 year old). Now if she gets a scent or sees a rabbit she's off - could be for an hour. Over main roads, the lot.

Lovely dog, but a house-pet rather than a hunter. If I owned a big island with no livestock and plenty of game I'd feel ok about letting her off-lead regularly.......................

My deerhound X pup is a delight in comparison.

It's still only young mate, just keep the training going.

As has been said don't rollock it when it comes baxk, This was the hardest thing I had to learn with my dog, I know you will feel like stringing him up at times but shouting and ranting will only make the problem worse in my experience.

If you can take it somewhere thats safe try hiding from him, my dog gets nervous if he can't see or hear me and will come looking.

If you want a really well trained dog, you need to get it fully trained before it even knows what game is. The reason you've got this problem is because it's been introduced to game before you have full control over it. Training a dog to a high standard is like brain washing ! For 100% recall the dog needs to believe that it has no choice whatsoever . To achieve this, never call it when you suspect it wont come, never,ever chastise it when it comes to you, always reward it for coming , either psychically or orally. It's all about repetition, if a dog is really play orientated play with it every time you recall, after this has been done enough to become ingrained the dog wont be able get back to you quick enough ! Once this stage is reached you only need to play with the dog once every few days, the dog will still come every time on the off chance! If in your case, the dog believes game is better than anything you have to offer, you need to keep him well away from game until you've got a really strong recall. In the worst case scenario, only take the dog out on a long line, recall , haul in, reward, until the dog believes there is absolutely no alternative. Ps. it helps to be very tight with your physical affection towards the dog, only use to reward positive behavior , make him earn it!