The winter fox trapper

Pay attention boys, here's a set that has been the demise of many a fox. A friend of mine came up with this sometime ago. Alan C the best thing about this set is it requires no digging, dog proof and best of all can take a good snow fall.

This is just to show you other sets you guys read about.

I know a woman that took 95 fox in 28 days just using this set. You have to be on location for this one and provokes a fox into what is known as High Stepping while hunting. Once they smell the fresh hay it turns them on.

Sticks stuck in hay in pic 3 show where to put lure and pee. I put a few drops of gland lure where the outer sticks show, jusy under the hay. The central stick area is where to put a squirt of red pee. Pee can be used by itself, gland lure is optional. I suggest a cable stake hooked to both trap ends if coyotes are or may be around.

You can get hay at a feed mill or your local farmer who harvests hay. Get good fresh stuff. The hay smell factor is part of the attraction.

Pic 2 is the finished set

post-6519-1184628327_thumb.jpg

post-6519-1184628333_thumb.jpg

post-6519-1184628339_thumb.jpg

Edited by NightRunner

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Nighter; Brushing aside the fact that any such traps have long since been illegal in much of northern europe, thus disallowing probably 99% of this forums readership from utilising them ..... What's with the hay, do ye know?

I mean, I cut and store my own hay. I have to. So I can fully appreciate the value and indeed the smell of the stuff in the 'winter'. Is it that which attracts the fox? And, if so, I take it the other 'scent' lures are just to really piss him off once he gets there and suspects he may have been beaten to it?

I take it the thinking is then to reproduce the smell of some small rodents nest? Is that it?

I can't help but think how our two cultures have altered focus, due to prohibitive legislation, ye see? You guys still get to utilise an awareness of the foxes senses of smell, hearing and hunting ability. We get to way lay and delay him on his route by dint of a proscribed wire.

Yet one of the ways I've always harboured a yen to try out is what I believe your people call a " Spring Set "? Plant a trap in a little island of turf, just out in some body of water. Your John Milk designed the ideal Steel Trap for the purpose. Indeed, I own one of his own, personal armoury. Bears his mark as well. A curio as I can never legally use it here.

But I first read of that set in a british book, now probably over a century old. I wonder how many others here would even have a clue what I'm talking about? So sad, how much 'britain' has lost, so soon.

The gets there hunting instinct going, just like after they cut a field go there at night after the cutting and you'll see fox mousing.

The spring hole set is used where there is a spring that doesn't freeze, it's a dead of winter set when it's frozen and the only water open is a spring. You want a rock in the spring for your bait or lure then place trap by rock. The trap is on a hook not staked.

The other set that many confuse is te CHAFF set. I posted that set since I replied to the box trap fox set, the mouse in the cage is used sometimes for the Hay Set. You can also place some corn then cover with hay to get mice working it making it legal then.

In that set a very very small amount of urine and a hint is gland lure. Weasel glans works the best.

• 2 weeks later...
Nighter; Brushing aside the fact that any such traps have long since been illegal in much of northern europe, thus disallowing probably 99% of this forums readership from utilising them ..... What's with the hay, do ye know?

I mean, I cut and store my own hay. I have to. So I can fully appreciate the value and indeed the smell of the stuff in the 'winter'. Is it that which attracts the fox? And, if so, I take it the other 'scent' lures are just to really piss him off once he gets there and suspects he may have been beaten to it?

I take it the thinking is then to reproduce the smell of some small rodents nest? Is that it?

I can't help but think how our two cultures have altered focus, due to prohibitive legislation, ye see? You guys still get to utilise an awareness of the foxes senses of smell, hearing and hunting ability. We get to way lay and delay him on his route by dint of a proscribed wire.

Yet one of the ways I've always harboured a yen to try out is what I believe your people call a " Spring Set "? Plant a trap in a little island of turf, just out in some body of water. Your John Milk designed the ideal Steel Trap for the purpose. Indeed, I own one of his own, personal armoury. Bears his mark as well. A curio as I can never legally use it here.

But I first read of that set in a british book, now probably over a century old. I wonder how many others here would even have a clue what I'm talking about? So sad, how much 'britain' has lost, so soon.

ditchy, the water set your talking about has been used since i was a boy , up in the far north of scotland , using the old gin trap , its illegal now , but it was very effective ,