Does Lineage Really Matter

In the interest of sparking some lively debate,no insults please,what are peoples views on lineage would you only buy a dog that you were pretty certain would make a good worker or are you of the view that most terriers have been bred initially to do what they do,i am not trying to say one idea is right and one wrong,i am not a terrier breeder but have bred ferrets,you see that many ads saying from a working ferret as you do with dogs and probably 90% of it is crap,all the ferrets i have got have done what comes naturally,i suppose the chances of getting a good working dog if it is from good stock are higher but also the price may reflect this.

An honest working lineage will,on the whole,put the percentages in the offsprings favour as working jukels,the kennel they end up in will play a part,but an honest bred dog with the breeding behind it as a better chance of making the grade than one bred from parentage with a lesser working background.

• Like 1

after having terriers for 33 years ive come to the conclusion that a percentage of it is good working background another percentage is upbringing and carefull entering but the biggest percentage is sheer luck as the best dog i ever had was from show bloodlines and yet i bred several litters from 100 per cent grafters with superb working backgrounds and produced total duds

• Like 2