Advice With Pup

Got my new pup 3 weeks ago he is 4 months old not done really much with him just spendiing time getting a good bond with him all that i have done is a bit on recall in which he is instant when told to come and using the up command with hand up will sit and stay .no whistle introduced at this stage.Thought i would try a few retrieves in his run using an old sock no problem going to get it instant when asked to come he comes to wards me but will not come in wants to try and get round the back and avoid coming in with it .Have not ripped it off him to make him avoid me is it just a puppy thing or is there ways to work on this dont want to make the misake of doing to much to quick i have only tried this twice with around three retrieves each time then called it a day any advice would be appreciated.

stand in a corner.

you did right not to tell him off that will confuse and scare.

Dont do too much on retrieves spend the time on sit and stay, and whistle to sit. the dog will retrive you do not need to teach that, but use that skill to work for you, if you throw and he runs off on auto pilot, later you have to stop this, so dont start it to save you stopping it.

if you do the basics sit, stay then walk away, ideally you want to walk round him in a 10 meter circle and dont always call him after he sits he will be waiting for you to call him, to start with make him sit, walk sideways 3 steps and walk back then walk on, dont forget sit means sit it doesnt mean drop your bum its a sit and stay so you need something to break that, so make him sit, say "sit" pip whistle once tell him good then either "walk on" or "heel" to break the sit. he will learn to sit on either the command or whistle, as you progress you should be able to walk in a line pip or say sit and you keep walking and he sits and stays. you keep walking in a circle and come back to him and say your walk command he will get up and walk with you. once you have that, then move on to retrieves and not before,

Edited by Philluk