My Fhh Shivering And Not Interested In Game.

craigynewall

The last 2 days iv been out with my fhh and soon as I get out the house she starts shivvering like mad. Obviously its cold outside but does that effect the birds ways of hunting? As the last 2 days iv seen more rabbit than iv seen in my life and she isn't 1 bit interested in them. Yes she was entered the end of december and has so far took 3 rabbits, 2 pheasant, 2 squirrel and a fat rat but all of a sudden with this snow and bad temps she seems to have lossed interest. Let me no if this can happen or if I'm dealing with something else here. She flies at 2lb and both days have been exactly so carnt see the problem [NO TEXT TALK] help?????????

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sounds like like she is well under to me mate,your bird so dont think Im being a clever bugger,but up her,I would expect a bird who started the season @ 2lb to be flying at 2lb2 now, me I would not pi

just a suggestion try her a bit heavier ON CREANCE and see how she reacts. as with all creatures birds use a lot of energy keeping warm. i try to fly all of mine justa tad heavier in the cold weather.

Spot on mate,she could be well under weight, with this cold spell,up her weight and try her,I think you will be quite suprised

Posted Images

I don't think it's the temp fella I recon its the snow there not used to. Tuk mine out yday she just wouldn't strike at em then it just clicked with her and she got to in the end.i let her av a feed up on the last one in the snow.and today she's bin on the bow perch in the snow for to hours .hopefully out tomorrow with her.all the best just keep putting game in front ov her.

just a suggestion try her a bit heavier ON CREANCE and see how she reacts. as with all creatures birds use a lot of energy keeping warm. i try to fly all of mine justa tad heavier in the cold weather.

Spot on mate,she could be well under weight, with this cold spell,up her weight and try her,I think you will be quite suprised :thumbs:
  • Like 1

Cheers lads well she's at her flying weight of 2lb now so I'm gonna take her out at that try her again on any game around if she isn't interested I'll finish her off on bunny lure see if that bothers her then if no luck I'll up her weight a little and try that. Cheers for the help lads.

If you have flown her quite a lot since you got her,she will have put on muscle,which as you know is heavier than fat,so her previous flying weight of 2lb COULD be quite a bit under now,as we have had freezing temps, I would suggest trying her @ 2lb1.5 or even 2lb2, think you will see a big improvement,I always up the birds weght in freezing weather,by at least an oz if not more, let us know how she is doing.

Edited by charlie caller

If you have flown her quite a lot since you got her,she will have put on muscle,which as you know is heavier than fat,so her previous flying weight of 2lb COULD be quite a bit under now,as we have had freezing temps, I would suggest trying her @ 2lb1.5 or even 2lb2, think you will see a big improvement,I always up the birds weght in freezing weather,by at least an oz if not more, let us know how she is doing.

bob on about the muscle

I tuk my bird out again today . And she ain't like in the snow at all .not even a dead one witch I dug to the ferret .so i went in a wood where it Woz a bit less snowy she Woz above me ina tree as soon as I ad the rabbit out me vest she started to drop lower and as soon as I threw it on the ground she Woz on it.anyone else ad this happen to them?

Yeah its pretty cold in her muse but I always bring her in the house for a good half hour before she hunts iv done this from taking her out training so she will be warm surely by the time I take her out. Had her out again this afternoon she was still funny at 2lb she followed on but I seen a few rabits and she just didn budge. Then all of a sudden she dropped and I thought comon ran over and she had old of a half of dead rabbit carcass which I took streaight off her and disposed of. Walked about on the glove seen another rabbit and she didn move :s but she is bobbin her head everywher like she is looking and waitin to bang but [bANNED TEXT] a rabbit cums past its like derrr! This has got to be the snow surely? I will try her out at 2lb 1 in the morning see how it goes.

Sounds like like she is well under to me mate,your bird so dont think Im being a clever bugger,but up her,I would expect a bird who started the season @ 2lb to be flying at 2lb2 now, me I would not piss about with the creance, (but again its your bird pal)just up her on some good energy food,squirrel,or pheasant,quail,if she is dropping on summat she knows she dont have to chase,then all the signs are there of an underweight bird, lots of people are afraid of upping the weight,but honestly, at this time of year with the cold, my advice is always fly the hawk as high as you can get away with, I am sure mr Grovesy would agree?

• Like 3