Which scope?

Narrowed my choice down to these two. Would appreciate your opinions on either. I've suffered weeks of information overload regarding scopes so while I would normally appreciate alternatives can I ask you guys not to mention others you feel I may be better off with or I'll be back at square one again :blink:

Scope 1

http://www.newpro-europe.com/VTX/product/vortex-viper-pst-6-24x50-ffp-riflescope-with-ebr-1-moa-reticle.html

Scope 2

http://aimfieldsports.com/epages/www_aimfieldsports_com.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/www_aimfieldsports_com/Products/SIIISS8-32x56LRMOA

The scope will be going on a target rifle and will be used over 300, 500 and a 1000 yards.

Thanks.

Tommy

Would not have either !!

R.Macleod and son of tain have 3 Swarovski 6-24 x 50's for that price . and when you come to sell you WILL get your money back in full with a Swarovski.

As a rule of thumb i look at the Mounts and rings to get an idea of the quality of the scope. Check Vipers Tactical rings £17 each :icon_eek: I had better mounts on my BSA Meteor in 1979.

Coldweld while I absolutely understand your logic, the rings I found for the Vortex cost £125.00 http://www.newpro-europe.com/VTX/product/vortex-precision-matched-rings-30mm-riflescope-medium-height.html I know the others are there but WHO would buy them?

The 3 scopes up in Tain are between Cat 2-3 in condition meaning they all show varying degrees of wear and tear. Plus they are much dearer. As I'm having these sent over by a family member as a gift from the states the actual costs to me is between £621 and £631 due to differences in shipping and handling. So even If I do not like either scope I still expect to get my money back if I change my mind and sell it as I can undercut the UK price and still get all my money back.

The lack of adjustment on the scopes you mentioned I feel would be a definite issue and disadvantage when shooting over a 1000 yards compaired to what the Sightron and the Vortex can offer.

So I don't think it is as cut and dries as you may have first thought. Will scour Macleods lists though, thanks.

Would not have either !!

R.Macleod and son of tain have 3 Swarovski 6-24 x 50's for that price . and when you come to sell you WILL get your money back in full with a Swarovski.

As a rule of thumb i look at the Mounts and rings to get an idea of the quality of the scope. Check Vipers Tactical rings £17 each :icon_eek: I had better mounts on my BSA Meteor in 1979.

Swarovski, Zeiss, S&B, Leica, Kahles... dont produce Mounts ;)

Would not have either !!

Swarovski, Zeiss, S&B, Leica, Kahles... dont produce Mounts ;)

Neither do Viper ! They buy Indonesian mounts and resell them :whistling: Same as the scopes.

Edited by coldweld

Vortex PST scopes are manufactured in the Philippines using Japanese lenses, the Razor HD range is built in Japan and the cheaper scopes in their range are Chinese in manufacture. Strangely enough the precision rings are American in origin

http://www.vortexopt...e-medium-height

Are you sure about Japanese glass??? I would say that optically they are on the same level as Nikon Monarch 3 and bellow reall Japanese scope in this price range (Sightron, Weaver tactical, Bushnell Elite Tactical...)

This was on another forum but is from a Vortex rep

"DeviousSB,

I think the smiley was because the Crossfire's are not made in the USA. Sorry, I hope that doesn't disappoint you, but I don't want you to feel misled.

I wish there was a way to make them in the USA and sell them for a profit that those prices, but unfortunately it just isn't possible in this day and age.

The Crossfire is our only riflescope series that we are making in China.

Vortex is a US Veteran owned business and we employ about 40 Americans. Our products are designed right here in WI, and all service and warranty issues are also done right here at our facility in WI. We have other riflescope lines made in the Philippines and Japan.

-Sam"

Origional text can be found here http://www.snipershi...=1582885&page=2

Edited by Tommy.H