Mind you, if I rush the shot I can miss a rabbit head easily enough as well. I guess the thing is with centrefire there is more margin for error. Not claiming I know, not tried to shoot a fox yet.

personally i think the margin is similar for both, as regards to a 22lr and a centrefire, because with a 22lr you have a very light bullet, if it isnt placed in the exact spots on a fox it can cause suffering, so you need to know your limitations, its similar with small centrefires such as 222's as the bullet is still light but isnt affected as much untill at a longer distance. you also have room for little errors as a centrefire will cause more damage, its all about confidence in yourself at shooting at longer distances, me personally would be happy enough to go drop a fox at 50-60 with a 22lr, in still conditions, the same as i would be happy enough to go drop a fox at 2-300 yards with my .222 but there has to be no wind, there has been lots of times i have stopped myself from shooting at a fox at 200 yard that wont come in to a call, pure and simply because i dont feel confident enough that the bullet will hit where i want it to (due to the wind blowing the bullet slightly) because if it misses the vitals your causing unneccesary suffering.

Get youself a .223 and you'll be able to do sausage shots like me. Ha Ha.

Mind you, if I rush the shot I can miss a rabbit head easily enough as well. I guess the thing is with centrefire there is more margin for error. Not claiming I know, not tried to shoot a fox yet.

personally i think the margin is similar for both, as regards to a 22lr and a centrefire, because with a 22lr you have a very light bullet, if it isnt placed in the exact spots on a fox it can cause suffering, so you need to know your limitations, its similar with small centrefires such as 222's as the bullet is still light but isnt affected as much untill at a longer distance. you also have room for little errors as a centrefire will cause more damage, its all about confidence in yourself at shooting at longer distances, me personally would be happy enough to go drop a fox at 50-60 with a 22lr, in still conditions, the same as i would be happy enough to go drop a fox at 2-300 yards with my .222 but there has to be no wind, there has been lots of times i have stopped myself from shooting at a fox at 200 yard that wont come in to a call, pure and simply because i dont feel confident enough that the bullet will hit where i want it to (due to the wind blowing the bullet slightly) because if it misses the vitals your causing unneccesary suffering.

Not sure where we are going with this but rabbits at 50-60 yards with a rimfire and foxes at 200-250 yards with a centrefire are fundamentally the same thing. :hmm::yes::thumbs:

Not sure where we are going with this but rabbits at 50-60 yards with a rimfire and foxes at 200-250 yards with a centrefire are fundamentally the same thing. :hmm::yes::thumbs:

thats what im trying to say lol