Breaking to ferrets

I have a 10 week old pup whippet x saluki/whip/grey that I want to be a true alrounder! (rabbits and rats ) :) She is the 1st lurcher i have owned always done more with hounds and terriers and the lurchers i have worked with have been more fox retrieving dogs for after they have been shot. so im wondering .....What age do you introduce your dogs to ferrets and what age do you start letting them come with you ferreting I'm not talking about working them ! Just sitting watching listening what's going on around them!

Cheers

Edited by Rogue and running dog

Yer I think if the dog is with ferrets daily from a young age they just see them as part off the furniture no accidents then an for taking her out properly that' depends what your planning on doing like getting her to work with the long nets or to purse nets that u net everything or just open holes because it is a lot off different strain for a dog to run all rabbits or push into long nets compared to purse netting everything

Yer i had my old dog with ferrets from day one never had an accident with ratting or ferreting and he came out with me from about 6 months on but I made a point of netting every hole until he was about nine months by then he understood all about nets and everything else then I found a nice open warren off about 8 holes an just let him work it out he missed the first an Cought the second

• Like 1

Ye how you describe your old dog is how I want mine to be eventually! At the end of the day when we go ferreting its to help the farmers as much as having abit of fun. So holes will be netted and she will be there to pick up any that come from bolters or miss the nets! We don't tend to use long nets so having a good dog to tidy up loose ends is always handy!