Trouble with FCA1 form

Hi all,

I was out on a friends land the other week ( who is also my permission for ferreting) and he said if i had a shooting licence he would allow me to shoot the wood pigeon and rabbits too. Ive never owned a firearm of any description but have always thought about taken it up.

So i started to delve into the world of firearm licensing here in the Rep of Ireland and quickly realised that this was not going to be an easy or quick process. Just looking through the FCA1 form i can see that its accomadating to those of whom have used guns before but not so much for a newcomer. There is a section were it asks for "proof of competency- in possesion, use and carriage of firearm", how are you suppose to get knowledge in these areas if they wont grant a license to posses a firearm?

Will 1 land owners permission do?

Also, i was propossing to keep the firearm in a gun cabinet which would be bolted to a concrete floor inside a locked shed in my rear yard, would this suffice?

I was going to try get an air rifle with a long range as im self admittedly not the most stealthiest of people :) and i dont think id have much joy at getting to shotgun range.

If anyone in Ireland has any advice id really appreciate it. Sorry for all the questions but its a real mine field area when youre not familiar with it.

Hi,

Im not up on the differances of your FA Laws compared to ours.

I'd pop along to the Police Station and ask to speak to someone in the Firearms unit. Explain your intentions and ask what proof of competances you need, you may just need to do a basic safety course for handling etc... It could also just be that a referance from a club or landowner may suffice.

Again I dont know the differances, but here in the UK, a gunsafe in a shed (even bolted to concrete floor) would not be tolerated these days as we need burglar alarms etc to cover the shell before they get to the safe! If you know what I mean.

Good luck, you'll find it a most rewarding pastime :yes:

Tony