Damaged shotgun help

Hi guys me again.....i have another dodgy shotgun question i would appreciate some help or advice with

Another friend bought an old Baikal O/U 12g some time ago as a first gun and it seemed to perform pretty well, apart from a noticeable heavy recoil...

They took it to a local gun shop with a view to part ex it for something a little newer and i think the gun smith was appalled by its condition.

Firstly he said it had an hair line crack in the barrel, which inevitably would get worse and probably become dangerous and secondly it had a great deal of play in the barrel area. When he removed the fore end he found it packed with news paper...

Obviously the gun shop wasn't interested in the gun and suggested it was scrapped before it became a problem....

So i guess my questions are:

Is it worth trying to sell as spares or should it just be scrapped?

What is the procedure for scrapping?

Any help or advice is much appreciated

Cheers

Stephen

If the fore end was only found to be packed with newspaper when he came to sell it, was it never cleaned whilst he owned it? Maybe next time he buys something he should take someone with him or he could end up with another lemon. Actually, while I think of it, would he like to buy a boat? ;)

Nick