Personally I would use them yes at a range I felt comfortable that a clean kill is almost certain,maybe some other lads can tell u wat they use,a mate of mine went to work in south Africa and the blokes that took him shooting used to use bird shot to kill a type of pig,he said they got a knife and cut round the shell just below the wad and leave a little tag holding it on to the cartridge,when fired it kept the shot compact and hardly spread,like a ball basically,I'm not saying try this at home lol that would be daft,but to be fair I couldn't resist it ?and yes it did stay together,I bet someone else on here may have heard of it and couldn't help but try

Atb

As a general rule, large shot i.e AAA, BB, 1,2,3 and as much of it as the gun will handle.

As for chokes, my own personal research told me that full choke is almost always worse than using either 1/2 or 3/4 because it tends to blow the pattern with the heavier loads.

Keep the range to a maximum of about 35/40 yards.

twotwothree, that would turn it into a slug effectively, and would be totally illegal. Also wouldn't be a brilliant idea in a heavily choked gun. There are several video's of people doing it on youtube, and yes it can be very effective, but won't give more range as the way the slug deforms going down the barrel makes it very unpredictable in flight.

42gr SSG do the job just fine. 30gr of number five will kill a fox at 20 yards with no problems. It all depends on range. If you don't have a heavy enough load for the range, don't pull the trigger. Simple!

Totally agree matt,not wise really, accuracy would be terrible and could be illegal,I'll have a look at them videos on you tube I haven't seen them,them magnum shells I use are pretty effective at 30/40 yds,it's rare I use the shotty for fox it's usually the rifles,but the size shot said in the above posts should point the original post in the right direction,

Atb 223