stoping a salukihound from whinging

A dog whinges for two reasons really:

1. Pain

2. To get something.

IF you are dead sure the dog isn;t in any pain then they will whinge for something such as attention. This becomes a learned behaviour if the dog gets attention or what it wants when it whinges.

Make sure that everybody in the house is clear that if the dog whinges it doesn't get anything, not even eye contact because telling a dog off is still attention regardless if it is good or bad attention. Ignore all whinging.

If the dog whinges whilst you are getting its food ready then stop and walk away - "You doing that will not get you your food any quicker".

Check out this page and the rest of the Q&As as you leanr a lot about dogs in general - http://www.canis.no/rugaas/oneqanda.php?id=461

I had same thing with one I had as soon as shut kennel door he would start barking and howling I tried everything but wouldn't stop him tried water shock collar even had him in house but as soon left room would start lol

thats exzactly how my lad is at the moment no matter how long were out walking/hunting even all night second pen door closes he starts and its fair annoying :angry:

A dog whinges for two reasons really:

1. Pain

2. To get something.

IF you are dead sure the dog isn;t in any pain then they will whinge for something such as attention. This becomes a learned behaviour if the dog gets attention or what it wants when it whinges.

Make sure that everybody in the house is clear that if the dog whinges it doesn't get anything, not even eye contact because telling a dog off is still attention regardless if it is good or bad attention. Ignore all whinging.

If the dog whinges whilst you are getting its food ready then stop and walk away - "You doing that will not get you your food any quicker".

Check out this page and the rest of the Q&As as you leanr a lot about dogs in general - http://www.canis.no/...anda.php?id=461

thanks good knowlagable info der! ive been doing the ignoring thing now for a few days so il just keep it up as i am 100% its not pain ect.. thanks again :thumbs:

mine was the same till i bought a £9 anti bark muzzle from pets at home now no woof woof it whined still but ignored her and now no whine also i just put it on her and leave her with it on.

they are 100% safe as alot of mates use them and they can still breathe and drink with it on just not eat or bark ;)

obv i take it off to eat and when im with her ;)

atb paul

Edited by madmacca

It seems a lot of saluki and saluki lurchers do this and it can be a right pain, but in time they settle, usually.

Its a funny thing, it might howl, bark wine ect in that kennel, but if moved to someone elses kennel, they don't make a sound, as some lads have found out in the passed by giving the dog to someone that can put up with the noise, then finding the dog is quiet as a mouse their. lol

Its a saluki thing.

How long have you had him? Is there a set routine to the day with your dog? Have you tried leaving soemthing with him to occupy him when you go, I know there is no real subsitute for company with their best mate but a frozen kong stuffed with meat and cream cheese is a decent attempt.

sledge hammer will sort it wont whinge again

always one lol

Bamboo splints down the finger nails help people to think about what they type as it better be dam worth the pain, similar scenario don't you think?.

sledge hammer will sort it wont whinge again

always one lol

Bamboo splints down the finger nails help people to think about what they type as it better be dam worth the pain, similar scenario don't you think?.

stop whinging

How long have you had him? Is there a set routine to the day with your dog? Have you tried leaving soemthing with him to occupy him when you go, I know there is no real subsitute for company with their best mate but a frozen kong stuffed with meat and cream cheese is a decent attempt.

only had him three weeks now so i know its goin to take time for him to settle, whats a kong? and if i was to do that do he would get used to it and id have to give him one every time hes in the pen and id nearly prefer to let him whinge than have the dog controlling me like that.

The good news is the more you walk/work saluki lurchers the more they want to be walked or worked, if you don't walk them they'll wine, if the ice cream man comes round thell howl, when you walk another dog and don't walk them thell how'll and wine.

No worse dog for it I find.

I don't even know I've got deerhound lurchers there so quite in kennels, but the saluki is a highly strung annoying hound to kennel.

But then are they absolute supreme athlete in the Lurcher world and as a running/staying dog nothing else comes close.

So get a canine calm collar or just ignore it and reap the rewards of these frustrating but brilliant dogs.

• Like 4