What to do... On a Saturday morning

The alarm went off on a not so funny 03:45. I don’t know why I hit the sleep button at that hour, as it makes it feel even worse trying to get up. After 5 minutes that seemed to go past in an instant, the repeat alarm urged me to crawl out of bed to the kitchen to put the kettle on.

With coffee in the flask, the girl woken up as she is joining me today (waking a woman up that time of the morning is dangerous, so don’t attempt this lightly), army trousers on, MFR in the car, we hit the road.

Arriving at the permission, I could see 5 rabbits catching a last few mouthfuls at sunrise, and that was just in the back yard. This small holding has got a bit of a bunny problem, so I’m trying to help the owner out as much as I can, given the time restraints of everyday life. Today is going to be a good day, or so I thought just before the wind picked up… again… argh!!!

The bunnies are a bit wilder than the last time I’ve been here, the owner must have laid in a bit with the .22 in the last week. Looking through the scope at what is now the last rabbit in this part of the yard, the crosshairs just do not want to stand still. Gusting wind coming from the left keeps on moving me, and in the sitting position I’m in, presenting a bigger target for the wind to take aim at. Should have been prone, but not really wanting to get soaked by the wet grass with the first one.

Thinking that there is a lull in the wind proved wrong as the pellet struck somewhere to the right past the bunny’s nose. Not great, but at least the rabbit only ran about 10 meters. Reloading, I adjusted for wind, but as I squeeze the trigger, the rabbit darts off with the pellet killing a grass patch a few meters behind it. Looking back at the girl over the shoulder, I could see it in her eyes… Rabbit 1, Tommie 0. Well, keep at it!

Clearing the yard, on the other side of a little pond, I’m presented with another chance to redeem myself. Using the bushes this side of the pond, I slowly work myself into position. Going to have to take this shot over the water, but the Hawke LRF says it is only 23 meters. Wind directly from the front, perfect. Dropping on my knee, I bring the crosshairs to about an inch below the intended impact point. Would normally do about ½ to ¾ of an inch on that range with my setup, but with the wind from the front, I’m worried that it might lift the pellet just that tiny bit more with this slightly elevated shot. The pellet striking made that unmistakable thud, and the bunny dropped. Approaching it where it is doing it’s final kicks I notice the pellet struck true. Things are looking up

Slowly working my way on the far side of the yard, I notice a rabbit sitting on the other side of the fence. Crawling on my all fours, well, actually 3 with the MFR in the other hand, I use the growth against the fence to cover my approach. I hate wet grass. I’m soaked. My MFR’s stock is soaked. My wallet in my trouser pocket is soaked… Not happy.

My progress is slow. The rabbit it too close to the wire fence, so can’t find an angle where the pellet will have a clear path between the wires. Thirty meters from the rabbit, it makes a fatal mistake to run to my side of the fence. Lying prone, I slowly move into a position. Wind from the back, I take aim a little low. Pulling the trigger I immediately know I over adjusted. The bunny tumbles over, but the kicking is a bit different... Damn, not good. Quickly made my way towards it, and take an insurance shot. I’m not sure if it was necessary as the kicking continues, but rather not take chances.

Placing the bunny with the other one, we decide to try another warren a couple fields up with loads of rabbits. I took 2 there a couple weeks ago, so they might be a bit more difficult this time.

Popping my head over the hedge, I see that all the rabbits are beyond my range, and with no cover for an approach, I decide to wait a bit. It pays off not 5 minutes later. One bunny decides that it wants to have a taste of the grass next to a little stream, about 40 meters away. Slowly moving towards it, I decide that it will have to be a standing shot, as from standing only the head is visible. With the wind again from the left to right, it is going to be a tricky shot. The first pellet goes to the right, and the rabbit legs it. The second one goes high (and right)… Unbelievable!

Deciding that I’m not on form today, I decide to call it a day. Walking back to where we left the 2 rabbits, a bunch of crows scatter. Getting there, we see that the crows had a go at both. The missus gives it one look, and we decide that these 2 are unfortunately not going to the freezer.

Better get home and back in bed, today is not going the way I planned…

post-51517-0-24013700-1340092924.jpg

Did it yesterday got couple of good shots then think me eyes started playing tricks on is were going all blurry and crawling across wet f..king padics is not the best of to start with ATB TOMA good right up mate :)