Yeah, I'm back to the tunnel again :o

I was thinking of the over the garden gate type:

http://www.overthegardengate.net/userpages/pp_view.asp?FName=polytunnel&Page=1

And maybe it's big enough as it is :confused: The thought I had was if a person could get a T connection for the pipe. At the highest part of the loop, cut the pipe and put on the T. Put a short piece of pipe coming down out of the T towards the ground. I imagine there's some type of "cement" that can be got to properly stick the joint.

The idea being, could a larger wider loop be supported by having scaffold poles in the middle of the tunnel also? Those scaffold pipes could also be tied together along the length of the tunnel quite easily as they'd be away from the cover.

Thoughts? Faults? Madness?

I've seen one made this way and it's quite impressive it felt very sturdy,that alcathene type pipe is not cheap he said,I thought of having a go as I could probably lay my hands on nearly all the materials exept the cover but there are a few frames at good prices knocking about I'm not sure if it would be cost effective campared to second hand purpose built frames?it's a good effort though,I'm looking for a second tunnel so maybe I'll try it.hows the taters recovering?

Atb 223

I am in the process of building one using that design and have my scaffold tubes hammered into the ground ready to fit my pipe loops but as twotwothree says that pipe is not that cheap so it will have to wait a while. Mine will eventually be about 30ft by 10ft and fitting a T piece to extend the width would work as long as you had the central supports. A 50 metre reel of suitable pipe is around the €150 mark plus about the same for the correct grade of polythene sheet. Add in a few other expenses and it should work out around €400 for a 30 x10 polytunnel, not cheap but still quite a bit less than buying a new one.

Edited by David K

Yes John I know what you mean, someone recently was selling commercial size, secondhand frame pieces at €25 each but they would be way to big for the garden. If I ever get this one finished i'll put up some pictures.

Edited by David K
  • Like 1