Hi all. I hope that my question here is suitable for this forum. I suppose I should say first that I do not shoot or have guns (other than those I used when serving on a Royal Navy frigate and I don't think they would be suitable for game shooting!). To be clear I have no problem with pheasant shooting.

We are in the process of purchasing a property in Mid Wales a few miles from where we currently live. The land around the property is part of an estate and that estate has sporting rights over the land (about 5000 acres in all). Some of our land at our current property has sporting rights for the local manor here but they have not been exercised in many years. Part of the reason for our move is for peace and quiet - the new location is very peaceful being located away from roads and neighbors. A shoot would therefore be apparent to us when it takes place.

We have established that the local estate surrounding the new property has a pheasant shoot and that one of the drives operates near by. The nearest point of the wood where the birds are released is about 150 yards away and the usual location for the guns is perhaps 400 yards off. We have spoken to the organizer and he tells us that they shoot once or twice per week on this drive during the season - which we understand to be Oct 1st - Feb 1st.

So far I gather that most shoots probably have around eight to ten guns.

My question is really related to getting an understanding of what actually happens during the shoot. We can surmise that in a days shooting the party will visit more than one drive (we understand the shoot has at least five). I realize that all shoots will be different but I sort of assume that there is a general pattern of driving the birds over the guns so that the shooting can take place. So, for example, would the guns be firing for several hours or half an hour?

Thank you in advance for your replies and patience for such newbie questions.

Jon

I would say that the total duration of the gunfire would only be an hour or so, split over the numerous drives with probably an hour between drives as the beaters push the birds on to the guns. For each drive there may be gunfire for about 10 minutes or so.

The obvious suggested is to get yourself a shotgun and get involved or join the beating team!