ive just started working with terriers after many years of ferreting and shooting with my dad and ive got myself a patterdale terrier off a friend of mine hes done really well caught loads of rabbits and rats and works likes there no tomorrow hes about 14 months now but i wanna start working him to ground but he dosnt seem like he wants to go which is heartbreaking for me :( but ive just gained some permisson near where i live but i have no one to show me about terrier work or how to dig soo could you lads give me some advice please it would be very greatful and what tools and stuff i will need and seen im only 19 ive got lots to learn thank you for your time :)

I think the best thing to do is lick the arse of some local terriermen and kick about with them. Maybe invite them on your new permission and watch and learn. You will pick it up eventually. Then maybe if it is your sort of thing get a terrier from earth dogs and start again from a pup and keep your other terrier for the ferreting mate. I'd you have a terrier that's working rabbits your probably best of not letting it go 2 ground as you might be using it as a ferret more often than you would like too. Atb mate and good luck.

• Like 2

put up your area mate not your address lol but localish, if you got some permission for fox control an terrier work im sure somebody will step up an show ye whats waht, might have to wait till sept tho, as most folk wont dig just noo unless its a call out, an most terriermen dont let there dogs hunt rabbits, many will say it ruins them for fox work, what ever happens all the best :thumbs:

ive just started working with terriers after many years of ferreting and shooting with my dad and ive got myself a patterdale terrier off a friend of mine hes done really well caught loads of rabbits and rats and works likes there no tomorrow hes about 14 months now but i wanna start working him to ground but he dosnt seem like he wants to go which is heartbreaking for me :( but ive just gained some permisson near where i live but i have no one to show me about terrier work or how to dig soo could you lads give me some advice please it would be very greatful and what tools and stuff i will need and seen im only 19 ive got lots to learn thank you for your time :)

read a few books look on the net maybe,want tell you every thing but its a start untill some one can show you how its done,my problems different to yours got a 10 month old patterdale that i cant keep on top he's a sod
  • Like 2

read a few books look on the net maybe,want tell you every thing but its a start untill some one can show you how its done,my problems different to yours got a 10 month old patterdale that i cant keep on top he's a sod

That's a good thing along as he keeps his head when he finds something in there :laugh:

• 4 weeks later...