Another Stoat in Squirrel Cage........!

I found this bitch stoat curled up fast asleep in one of my squirrel cages tonight, this is the second one i have had in this particular cage.....They will be feeding youngsters now so i expect she was foraging for food and the scent of a squirrel lured her in..........unless she was partial to hazel nuts..!

post-12022-0-13385700-1332185058.jpg

I found this bitch stoat curled up fast asleep in one of my squirrel cages tonight, this is the second one i have had in this particular cage.....They will be feeding youngsters now so i expect she was foraging for food and the scent of a squirrel lured her in..........unless she was partial to hazel nuts..!

like the pic rolfe had one myself a week or so ago in a coypu trap. i let it go.geting soft in me old age.
  • Like 4

like the pic rolfe had one myself a week or so ago in a coypu trap. i let it go.geting soft in me old age.

Me too..... ;)

its a bit early round here for stoats feeding young, had one last week and she had 10 very small nubs in her, probably a few weeks off yet

This one had very pronounced teats so i am pretty sure she is suckling some kits somewhere. There are lots of old hollow sweet chestnut trees full of rabbit holes at the base around here........and i have seen stoats there on a regular basis, my hunch would be she has some youngsters stashed there. As a follow up to this ............I had a dog stoat in the same cage tonight, they say the best attractant is the scent of the same species........especially the opposite sex ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I only ever caught one in a cage, years ago in our loft at home, we thought it was a rat at the time, until we went up for the cage after hearing it go off. That was probably the last one I saw, very scarce round here now.

Edited by Fat-Ferret