ferreting with the silly blond

so had the pup out yesterday, at my neighbours vineyard and im only pis*ing about typing this because i am waiting on someone before heading out again, had 6 and a baby, my dog has only been ferreting once before (as i have said before, she is never going to be a world beater due to my lack of commitment when she was a pup) and the ferret i was using had never been.

we were just setting up and i glanced about to see where the hound was, chewing what i thought was a lump of cow shit, turned out to be a baby rabbit, so thats one in the bag for the muppet, she went on to grab two more in nets and stop one as it slipped the net in front of me, wasn't too keen to hand them over, but i put this down to the many frustrations she has had lamping, where she has been so close so often but never bloody picks them up. and now she was getting hold of them she was chuffed. she did miss two bolters in the field, one she didnt see before it was too late, and the other she almost had but it just made the brambles.

the ferret worked great, didnt have a locator, i feel its better without, because when i do have one i cant resist the temptation to flip the thing on and go beeping my way up and down the burrow, as it was there was nothing for it but patience, at the start he showed nearly every hole, but after a while he set to it, going very deep, i could hear thumping miles below. he bolted a couple from deep. i couldn't be sure if when he disappeared for about 45 mins he was on a lay up, so i set to digging in the middle of the hedge near where he was last seen, this worked and he popped his wee head up nearby, i took him out and gave him a half hour rest while we went and relaxed in the landowners caravan with coffee and smoke. and pasties provided as payment for the pest control. after which we netter a short section of a different hedge, which provided one bunny, and we called it a day when i spotted the ferret missioning his way up the hedge way beyond the limit of my pitifully small collection of nets (something to go to the shows for...).

anyway, im gonna go ring the boy and see if he has got his sh*t together, have another stab at them coney bas*ards.

hh