me new to ferreting

Hi

this is my first time i have posted so go easy on me.

now down to buisness.

i have 1 ferret she's white with grey back and black eyes. :yes:

i would like to know the time that she should take down a warren, and i know that it depends how big that the burrow is but i mean like 5 minutes or 2 hours. HOW LONG IS IT BEFORE I SHOULD START TO GET WORRIED??? :cry:

and also she has been down about 7 sets of durrows but every time she only manages to bring up 1 rabbit IF THAT?? :blink: what can i do to improve that or is she just practicing???

she is only about 5 months old but she is my first ferret and i need to know.

also on this fact, i put her down a hole and i could SEE THE RABBIT and she still didn't bring one up from that burrow??? is this normal for a new ferret?, how long before she completly cleans the burrows?

:hmm::hmm::hmm:

thanks

five moons is a bit early for a ferret, and go out with the guy who gave you them , the rabbs she is chaseing are not getting pressurised as she doent no whats going on ,i take the kits out with there mother at five moons and let them see a bit theyve been fed on rabb since there eyes are opened, so they no there fair game

Also theres no point on using one ferret on large warrens, because the rabbits will just give her the run about, for large warrens use two or more ferrets, find some small burrows with five holes or less and your ferret wil easily bolt the rabbits. most people say 5 months is a fine age to work a ferret but whin has been in this game for longer than me so take his advice. i gennerally give my ferrets 40 minutes-1 hour to work a warren then start searching about for them, however if your quiet, stand well back from the warrens and approach warrens from downind you will find most rabbits bolt quickly ;) but remember that not all warrens hold rabbits all the time.

Guest Bigbob

She's to young let her get this summer over and try again in sept. And you need one ferret for about every ten holes in a burrow ,being so young she probably not going deep enough to bolt the rabbits .Can you not try her in a few burrows with a older ferret come next season failing that try her in a few pipes in the garden just keep every thing nice and slow and im sure she will prove herself

Guest Bigbob

She's only five months old if she get a kick from a big rabbit it might put her off for life .If you cant work her along beside another ferret till she get a bit experance i wouldn't bother working her just now

years ago when we were wee kids we would keep them hungry, chuck a live rabb in see what one wanted it most, pick that for my self and get rid of the rest a bit cruel , but when your young youll go to any thing to get what you want , all the best

Not sure where you are in OZ but where I am I'm lucky if theres 1 rabbit in the warren total. Just not as many around any more.

One of my jills will only work the surface/ top of the burrows whereas my other 2 go real deep. (she doesnt come out with me anymore either!!) Just take it slowly with her and she'll get more experience as time goes on. Make sure she understands what the rabbit is too- once the rabbit is netted, kill it and let her to it to sniff and stuff. She'll start to put 2 and 2 together. ALso feed it with part of fur on.

the sweeter the hole smells, the longer youll stay in there, a bit like ferreting a guy said to me how da you no a rabbit holes fresh i says if ther fur round the entrance and its miost its fresh joking aside i hope you get on well with your ferreting forays. another thing dont keep putting your ferets down no holding burries