Consistent sight picture

I'm primarily a shotgun shooter and have had bought guns that 'fit' or had them fitted so that I mount them consistently and get the same sight picture every time.

Since transferring to rifles with telescopic I find that I don't always get my face in the same place and so my aim if off - sometimes quite badly to one side. I know what's causing it - if my face is too far up the stock it moves me out of line to the left and so I'm looking through the scope at a slight left-right angle.

How do you guys get a consistent head-stock position ?

Guest Scuba1

I adjust the scope for the most relaxed / comfortable position while having the rifle mounted. The consistency after that is down to practice. Try to get yourself into a routine that you follow with every shot.

A bit like golf :)

HTH

Michael

B)-->

QUOTE(john b @ Apr 19 2007, 12:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm primarily a shotgun shooter and have had bought guns that 'fit' or had them fitted so that I mount them consistently and get the same sight picture every time.

Since transferring to rifles with telescopic I find that I don't always get my face in the same place and so my aim if off - sometimes quite badly to one side. I know what's causing it - if my face is too far up the stock it moves me out of line to the left and so I'm looking through the scope at a slight left-right angle.

How do you guys get a consistent head-stock position ?

Ideally you want between 3 and 4 inche's eye relief (distance from eye to scope) i'm afraid it's trial and error,for starter's i'd find a comfortable cheek position and adjust the scope to suit,then try taking the gun to your cheek quickly (not at a live target) and see what sort of success you have.hth,Bill

Trial, error and loads of practice :icon_eek: . I have one rifle that I get these very same problems with and it's all down to the scope being in the wrong place.

I have a few rifles but the one I have this problem with is one of my earlier springers. I always thought this scope was in the ideal place, but as I've shot more and used different rifles, I think I have found a more relaxed hold and so now my original springer has the scope in the wrong position.

The scope needs to be moved forward on mine and sounds to me like you may have the same adjustment to make.............Al :victory:

Ideally you want between 3 and 4 inche's eye relief (distance from eye to scope) i'm afraid it's trial and error,for starter's i'd find a comfortable cheek position and adjust the scope to suit,then try taking the gun to your cheek quickly (not at a live target) and see what sort of success you have.hth,Bill

:victory::clapper::clapper: loosen off the Mount rings and mount the gun how you would regulary and feel most comfortable, then slide the scope back and fourth until you hit the right Eye Releif and see the whole picture in view, you might have to just rest the gun while you do this but Bill88 hit the nail on the head :yes:.....