Advice and help wanted please

I have never worked terriers before but always had a keen interest but have done a lot of ferreting and shooting, I own a 16month old wheaten terrier since he was a pup and a friend just gave me 8month old patterdale pup could I start working them together or how would I know if the were showing any interest in earth's. Is their any rules I should stick to starting off because it going to be pure hit and miss otherwise. Any help would be much appreciated thanks.

• Like 1

Shroughan, first of all the pat isnt near ready for earth work take it for field walks and let it use its nose on any kind of scent,, dont get into that habit of taking a terrier straight to an earth and only letting it off a lead . Terriers should rely on using their nose to find on top of ground ..As far as the wheaten goes do you know any earths or have any mates you could go hunting with,, i dont work terriers together especially underground you will destroy the terrier infront as he cant back up with other terrier on his tail.

• Like 1

Tanks for the reply stipes. I kinda knew the patterdale wasnt really ready. I had her out for a walk around the fields to-day off the lead as you say and just let her smell around she would go to earth's stick her head in smell around for a couple of seconds and then just playfully run away. As with the wheaten don't know anybody that into this well enough to go with but have had him at earth's and he seems kinda keen to go into them but as he is a big dog what should I do. My idea with the two dogs was the patterdale would go in and the wheaten would guard one side.

Every man works different shroughan , go with your idea let the wheaten guard,, just dont be too hasty to put the pat in to early, let the two dogs hunt on top of the ground together,, be careful how do the dogs get on with each other,, wheatens can be quick tempered. Also when two terriers are smelling around holes things can get nasty. Try the pat on rats first get his blood pumping.

• Like 1

Ya the seem to get on ok as I only have the pat 3days but no problems yet anyway. I know all bout the quick temper as I had to separate him from the springer ha. Would it be ok to give her a rat if i caught one in a cage or should I just wait a while and just keep walking her around fields. Also if I got a dead fox should I let them have a tug at one.

LET EM RAG RATS [bANNED TEXT] EVER-BUT GET YOUR SELF A TIDY LOCATOR BEFORE YOU GO NEAR ANY EARTHS-I HAVE ALWAYS HUNG A .DEAD FOX OUTSIDE THE RUN TO WIND MY YOUNG DOGS UP-THEY HATE THE SMELL IT DRIVES THEM NUTS-THEN WHEN THEY READY THEY WILL FIND THAT SCENT AND FINGERS CROSSED MAKE YOU PROUD-NEVER FAILED ME YET :thumbs: ATB

• Like 1

Let her see the rat in the cage first and you will know by her reaction to the rat,, she might try to bite the cage,, take rat and pat to an area that will give the dog room to dispatch the rat,, worst thing is obstacles falling over and spooking the dog,,, open field is best. Cant see a rag on a fox doing any harm,, BUT again be very careful with that wheaten and pat together ,, the wheaten attacking the pup at this stage can be a disaster..hope this helps.

Cheers Fox machine I need it..

I have a 16foot ferret finder thought I could start off using this.

Stipes thanks for the advice much appreciated.

I will try the rat in a couple of day when she is settled right in and let you know how we get on.

Edited by shroughan

This makes a realy nice change to here good advice from people who know what there talking about! this terrier forum can be a welth of knoledge for young lads starting out good on you boys..i looked at this topic earlyer and was going to have my say but its already been said so good luck.. your pup is only young so dont expect much yet.. a dog in a kennel learns nothing remember that.

• Like 3

Well said Mainman-how are the newbies gonna learn how to conduct themselves around a dig/respect the quarry-if no one shares the knowledge-would not set anyman up to fail myself-we all had to start somewhere-im glad i learnt the right way-respect to the OLDHEADS-keep digging-never stop-always RESPECT YOUR DOGS,QUARRY-LANDOWNERS WISHES-AND f**k THE ANTIS :thumbs: ATB Bob Blackheart

• Like 3

So lad all seems to be going well so far. Caught a rat in the cage the other night to my surprise it was a big one ha so showed it to the pup in the cage and she seemed very excited pawing at the cage barking just mad to get in their so just waited bout a minute and let it out and she had her way with it am happy with the way tings went.

Will try and up load a video of it..

• Like 2