Springer Spaniels

Okay, after a lot of thinking, ive decided im gonna get myself a English Springer Spaniel. Ive never owned a Spaniel before just Labs. So what i need to know is - Are dogs slightly more bigger in size than bitches, its just that ive seen some lovely little springers and they were all bitches, and i would prefare the smaller build. I know i could get a smaller size by getting a Cocker, but its the Springers that im now "hooked" on. Also - whats the difference in working with both sexes, do dogs work better than bitches or vice versa.....

I was even looking at part trained and trained gundogs, believe it or not - the price wasnt that much more for a part trained dog as it is just to buy a pup. I dont have problems rearing a pup - but getting, lets say a 12 - 18 month old pup part trained would help me out for the better.

Theres still a bit of thinking to be done and a few alterations to be made around the house/garden before i buy so anything you think could help me - fire away!

neil there,s fooking hundreds of springer spanials well bred sold to pet homes all year round these pups are adorable to the familys that buy them but due to their breeding soon become to hot to handle at six to twelve months old some get sent back to the breeders and quite a few get the free to good home treatment. my advice is to get one of these as they make really good dogs better than the ones sold by gundog kennels as not suitable for field trials but would make good shooter because they have been messed up along the way.to school the ex family pet is a doddle as they soon train up better if they havent seen game easier than trying to get bad habits out of a messed up dog.i get offered at least 3 or 4 of these dogs each year.the hard works been done :victory:

Good point Shotup, Im not looking at entering it into field trails so that wouldnt be a problem. But like i said - im not rushing into the purchase, so maybe ill come across a spaniel in this situation - ill keep my eyes and ears open! :thumbs-up:

• 2 weeks later...

Hollie001.jpg

Hollie002.jpg

Hollie008.jpg

Well i got one! :D

Hollie, She's 11 weeks old. She has a good pedigree and comes from Badgercourt and Rytex Bloodlines, with lots of Ft Ch in the 5 Generations.

She's booked in to have her first innoculations on Monday and then after two weeks she has the second jab and also gets micro chipped. Im going to let her settle in and enjoy her puppyhood before the training starts.

Looking forward to it all though! :thumbs-up:

Neil

has yours docked ot undockedl??????

She's been docked. After 5 days she's coming on well, sleeps - wakes- runs to the door to pee in the garden and then its back to sleep! :D

Lazy lil barstool :laugh: