good day and night

Decided on ferreting a large farm around 2 miles from me yesteay morning, we wanted to bolt some for the dogs to run an between the 2 of us we had 2 terriers and 3 lurchers a little overgunned maybe but it was for fun. The farm is quite hilly in parts and on top of one of these hills are 2 large ground buries which are covered in brambles. The plan was to put a long net between the 2 buries to stop runners that way and net a few of the obvious bolt holes, the terriers wold work the cover to push the bolters out to nets or lurchers. 7 ferrets went in and rabbits steadily bolted, the 2 terries were a god send and made sure the rabbits didn't have chance to run hole to hole in the real thick bramble they both caught 1 each ( nicely tenderised lol) and pushed the rest out to the nets or dogs. All the dogs done well there were no long runs but they were sharp enough arond the cover to make sure we took 8 out of the bury with no losses.

At around 1 the farmer ( an old friend of mine) came up to see how we were doing, we started talking and he pointed out in the distance an arable field which he said needed atention as the rabbits were doing some damage. This particular farm I have only been allowed to ferret up to now, but the farmer was showing interest in the dogs liked the way they were working and especially how they showed no interest in his sheep. I suggested we should maybe have a look in the night to see where the rabbits ran blah blah, and it was aranged to have a run last night perfect.

We met back in the yard at 9 and set out accross the fields taking in turns to run the dogs, the rabbits were suprisingly lamp shy and really skitty, all of these felds are big and some are quite steep so it was a hard enough walk but the dogs done well as most of the runs were off long slips and they put 9 in the bag, 17 altogether for the day. I text the farmer this morning he replied FANTASTIC, all in all a great day/night a few bunnys and a bit more lamping permission in the bag. The dogs didn't let us down and proved that being broken to stock can open the door for you.

ATB

Kev

Good read that pal enjoyed it yeah broken to stock is a must .

Cheers mate,

I agree, this farm has alot of sheep on it, you'd look a right dick if the farmer turns up and your dogs chasing his flock around the field