Hello and merry xmas to you all.The other half has treated me to a nikon d3000 camera for xmas this is the first decent camera ive had.Now im no pro at photography but would like to take some wildlife shots of birds, deer ,etc.What would be the best size lens for this to get some nice close up pics. Any info or tips would be most helpful :thumbs:

I'm asuming you got the 18-55 mm kit lens with your camera so I'd say go for the Nikon 55-300mm f4.5-5.6G AF-S DX Vr lens.300mm focal lenght is about the shortest I've found practical when trying to shoot wildlife. The other factor you need to consider is that the d3000 doesn't have a built in focusing motor so you need to buy lenses with their own focusing motor in order for them to autofocus on this camera.

I'm asuming you got the 18-55 mm kit lens with your camera so I'd say go for the Nikon 55-300mm f4.5-5.6G AF-S DX Vr lens.300mm focal lenght is about the shortest I've found practical when trying to shoot wildlife. The other factor you need to consider is that the d3000 doesn't have a built in focusing motor so you need to buy lenses with their own focusing motor in order for them to autofocus on this camera.

Good choice..I have a Nikon 70-300mm without the VR, got if for £80 second hand off ebay, and had some very good images with it..no macro on it, but investing in a Nikon 105 2.8 AFS soon

Edited by Romany