First Time Training Spaniels.

Sy118

Hi.

I posted a comment on someone's post yesterday it was about training retrivers and i asked for some tips on training.

The chaps i was talking to gave me some great advice. (thanks very much).

So today i went out a brought a 1/2 pound dummy, 210 1/2 whistle and two rope leads.

I've been training my pups on a whistle for a while now just getting them to return to me and sit but the whistle i was using was one of thoses adjustable ones from pets at home. my pups are quite good on the whistle so i thought i'd get them a half decent one.

Anyway for those of you that don't know me I have an male English Springer and a male Cocker Spaniel. Bramble is my ESS and Thistle is my CS.

When i was speaking to the chaps i said i would post my results of dummy training today and i think (although it's in my back garden) it went quite well.

I've never had working dogs before so this is all new to me but i think i'm doing well for a novice.

Heres some videos i took today only two because my Ipod refused to work in the cold (got to love modern techonology).

Bramble:

http://s764.photobuc...nt=6c98906f.mp4

Thistle:

http://s764.photobuc...nt=2128bd32.mp4

you will have to excuse the videos i'm no Spielberg and it's hard to train a dog while filming them as well.

Again thanks to the chaps who give me some good advice yesterday.

I welcome all commnets, questions and i do take CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. Please take it in to mind that this is my first time training two working dogs with out any help.

Many thanks for reading.

Si.

Edited by Sy118

had a look if the dogs are kean to retrieve then don't let them go after the dummy staight away make them sit count to ten and then send will stop problems of running in and also lets them know who is in conrol .also vary the length of time before you send them and always finish a lesson by making them stay and collect the dummy yourself dont let them predict your next command .get a good spaniel training book and read it.

My partner has got me a spaniel training book for Xmas so only a week to wait. I've had them out to day on a lead making them wait for a short period of time before I took them off to retrieve the dummy. It worked for my springer but not for my cocker. But I've always known and been told by a few gun dog owners that cockers are a little harder to train.

Thanks for the other advice that's the sort of thing I've been looking for. I will keep that in mind for tomorrows training lesson.

I'm hoping to get a bit of ferreting in on Sunday so I can wrap my dummy in rabbit fur so they get the smell.

Edited by Sy118