4 Yard Fox tonight

Well done on your calling mate .For shotgun its a must but its usually the other way round for me when i have to stop a fox from coming too close .The rifle is a very different tool im sure you know but nice to see a fellow caller .I had one hit the back of my legs once but he realized his mistake soon enough and i missed him twice with the shotty .High seats are the best for a call ive found .

Save some for rest of us mate. :angry:

Lad dont ruine my post ok. Im not taking foxes from you're part of the world. I take foxes with shotgun, rifle, lurcher and terrier so dont go complaining that im taking all the foxes. Im just doing my job for the farmers around my way, they are happy, i am happy and thats all that matters.

On the other hand, cheers for all the POSITIVE comments lads. Its a buzz when they come in that close. But me and my mate love calling in the foxes, its the best thing about going out after them i find. Nothing better that calling them in.

One night not long ago on a big sheep farm by me, i was lamping with my mate who had a shotgun and another who had a .17HMR. Spotted a fox about 100yards away, squeaked and suddenly there was three sets of eyes. All three foxes came running in like a pack of wolfs, or if you imagine pigeons coming into decoy. It was heart stopping. My mate shot the closest one which was 15 yards with the shotgun, the other two ran, but one gave the 'Last Look' and my ate dropped him with a .17HMR Hollow Point bullet at 80yards. One of the best nights iv had calling simply because of the reaction of the foxes,

Lad dont ruine my post ok. Im not taking foxes from you're part of the world. I take foxes with shotgun, rifle, lurcher and terrier so dont go complaining that im taking all the foxes. Im just doing my job for the farmers around my way, they are happy, i am happy and thats all that matters.

Is it legal to kill foxes with lurchers and terriers?

On the other hand, cheers for all the POSITIVE comments lads. Its a buzz when they come in that close. But me and my mate love calling in the foxes, its the best thing about going out after them i find. Nothing better that calling them in.

One night not long ago on a big sheep farm by me, i was lamping with my mate who had a shotgun and another who had a .17HMR. Spotted a fox about 100yards away, squeaked and suddenly there was three sets of eyes. All three foxes came running in like a pack of wolfs, or if you imagine pigeons coming into decoy. It was heart stopping. My mate shot the closest one which was 15 yards with the shotgun, the other two ran, but one gave the 'Last Look' and my ate dropped him with a .17HMR Hollow Point bullet at 80yards. One of the best nights iv had calling simply because of the reaction of the foxes,

Haha :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

This story reminds me of the time I was out night-hunting grasscutters in an African cornfield. Grasscutters are delicious tasting gaint cousins of guineapigs, with similar body shape, but much larger in size, with adults weighing in at up to 20 pounds. They also have about the most powerful sense of smell I have ever encountered, which means they bolt the instant they get wind of a hunter. For some reason, 'cutters are always accompanied by vicious swarms of mosquitoes, which zero in on hunters to make standing still and being quiet well nigh impossible. Combining that early-warning system with the bloodhound nose of grasscutters, and you have an animal that is extremely challenging to sneak up on.

One night I tried a home-made scent blocker, made up of the stomach contents from a previously killed grasscutter. Smeared that aromatic goo on my trouser legs and, then went spotlighting for 'cutters to try out the new secret weapon. After a few minutes of standing in the corn-field with my headlight off, I switched on and was astonished to find one of those critters bumping its head against the toe of my boot. I had to lift my foot out of the way to fire my shotgun straight into the ground, killing my quarry, and kicking up a shower of dirt in my face. Range: 2 feet.

I won't ever take a shot at such a ridiculously short range again, but as a test of my home-brew scent blocker, that attractant was spectacularly successful. Apologies for the slight deviation from the topic Whippeter, but I couldn't resist telling this story, since it still relates to unusually close range hunting shots.