This has got f**k all to do with Ulster so let's nip that one in the bud right now.

My uncle fought in the Falklands and he did a bloody good job. The pressure he was under was immense and those that weren't there just can't imagine what those lads went through. I spoke to him earlier about this thread and the recent media coverage and he was really, genuinely touched. You know what he said to me when I left.........??

Gracias Amigo

:laugh::laugh:

The old ones are the best....I thank you :D

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I remeber, I watched it all on news as a kid.........remeber them pulling the poor buggers off the Galahad........one image was of a bloke being carried on a stretcher by his oppos, he has a fag in his mouth cause he was using his hands to hold up the stump of his leg :icon_eek:

Remeber them fellas walked right across those Islands in boots that were no up to the job, then had the job of fighting there way up those mountains.

H.Jones......probly a gung ho toff.........but the blokes he commanded :yes: .......proper fellas.

Would we do it today.........probly not, no backbone in this country anymore

But back then, we still had pride and some ask if it was worth a single life........what a fecking insult that is to the blokes who lost oppos.........only they have the right to decide that! ;)

people often go on about " Its only because there is oil there" when it comes to Uk and US picking fights,

which is most likely true in most cases. But these same people are often the first to complain when the price of petrol goes up or the cost of living increases. the fact is, cheap resources have given us all a relatively good life, if you think goverment policies on this should change then you have got to be prepared to accept the consequences. At the end of the day its how much money a man has in his pocket that decides who he votes for (or if he votes atall).

I remeber, I watched it all on news as a kid.........remeber them pulling the poor buggers off the Galahad........one image was of a bloke being carried on a stretcher by his oppos, he has a fag in his mouth cause he was using his hands to hold up the stump of his leg :icon_eek:

Remeber them fellas walked right across those Islands in boots that were no up to the job, then had the job of fighting there way up those mountains.

H.Jones......probly a gung ho toff.........but the blokes he commanded :yes: .......proper fellas.

Would we do it today.........probly not, no backbone in this country anymore

But back then, we still had pride and some ask if it was worth a single life........what a fecking insult that is to the blokes who lost oppos.........only they have the right to decide that! ;)

Bang on the nail there mate.......there's many a good lad never came home from that one....

Anyone watch that doco on the Sir Galahad the other night?

Poor buggers

Was that the boat Stabs that had one of them French built Exocets slammed into it? I rememeber seeing it on the box while it was happening with the whole top half melting under the intense heat :icon_eek:, I think we paid them back with Interest in the Air War! many of their Mirage aircraft was downed by Harriers simular to a Rat hunt :whistle:.

I worked with a bloke who was involved in the clean up operation after the war! he told me that a good time after they was still finding Argies that had frozen to death in small caves and crevaces! I can't say I feel sorry for them as those who invade countries obviousley looking for war should pay, some may not of wanted to be there but at the end of the day before the shit hit the Fan the Argies was rejoicing in the streets about it.....

This has got f**k all to do with Ulster so let's nip that one in the bud right now.

My uncle fought in the Falklands and he did a bloody good job. The pressure he was under was immense and those that weren't there just can't imagine what those lads went through. I spoke to him earlier about this thread and the recent media coverage and he was really, genuinely touched. You know what he said to me when I left.........??

Sore point Stabs, I can make up my own mind as to weather to nip it in the bud.

Thranona An Maith.

Guest The Shaman

Anyone watch that doco on the Sir Galahad the other night?

Poor buggers

Was that the boat Stabs that had one of them French built Exocets slammed into it? I rememeber seeing it on the box while it was happening with the whole top half melting under the intense heat :icon_eek:, I think we paid them back with Interest in the Air War! many of their Mirage aircraft was downed by Harriers simular to a Rat hunt :whistle:.

I worked with a bloke who was involved in the clean up operation after the war! he told me that a good time after they was still finding Argies that had frozen to death in small caves and crevaces! I can't say I feel sorry for them as those who invade countries obviousley looking for war should pay, some may not of wanted to be there but at the end of the day before the shit hit the Fan the Argies was rejoicing in the streets about it.....

That was the Sheffield.

The Exocet slammed into it, and the actual metal (aluminium I think) ignited and burned like a Roman Candle.

That was the Sheffield. The Exocet slammed into it, and the actual metal (aluminium I think) ignited and burned like a Roman Candle.

Cheers for that one Shaman! my mind ain't what it used to be after 25 years ;). nice of the French to keep them supplied with the Excocets through out the war, good job a fair few failed to go off hey or it could have been far worse....

Guest The Big Fish
Cheers for that one Shaman! my mind ain't what it used to be after 25 years ;). nice of the French to keep them supplied with the Excocets through out the war, good job a fair few failed to go off hey or it could have been far worse....

Actually the argies only had (i think) 8 exocet missiles during the war, the frenchies didnt supply them with backups if they missed. Imagine if they had of done, they would be hated by the british now :laugh:

Guest baldie

I know a chap who was in the first battalion [or whatever] that landed, 2 para i believe...., the ones who dropped in fighting, then walked right across, fighting as they went. Men of steel, with balls like bengal tigers. My friend doesn,t say a lot about it, but he was never the same. Bayonetting 17 and 18 year old argie boys [for thats what most were] seriously fucks up most sane people,s minds. That was the last war that produced REAL heroes, of the kind not seen since ww11, men like "h" jones, and sgt Ian McKay, both posthumous VC winners, who gave their lives to save their brothers, remember them, and men like Simon Weston, and the other welsh guards who burnt on the Galahad, when you are pondering on whether it was worth it.They didn,t ask to go, they went serving queen and country, and to liberate the BRITISH people who lived there.

These mens, memory, deserves better, we, the living, should make sure they didn,t give their lives in vain, by making sure no yellow backed politician ever, ever, gives up the falklands to the argies.

Dont dishonour the dead.

well the Falklands is sorted now 25yrs later .but one thing is for sure this country (england) just needs sorting now and it will take a fecking lot longer than 25 yrs to sort that cus were to busy fighting pointless wars else were .been alot of good men die for what ,that prick at number ten ,thats were the bomb should be drop .all the best rye p.s not haveing a dig just my veiws :D:D

baldie when people talk like that about our country it make thehairs on the back of my neck stand up.

it makes me proud to be english. ive got a mate who has just come back from iraq hes only 19 and hes definatly changed but if hes got the balls to go to war for this country and put his life on the line for us then ill always see him ok.

anyone has ever been to war for our country or who is in the armed forces should be proud of themselves and we should be proud of them.

anyone who bad mouthes them should be ashamed of them selves.

just M.H.O

baldie when people talk like that about our country it make thehairs on the back of my neck stand up.

it makes me proud to be english. ive got a mate who has just come back from iraq hes only 19 and hes definatly changed but if hes got the balls to go to war for this country and put his life on the line for us then ill always see him ok.

anyone has ever been to war for our country or who is in the armed forces should be proud of themselves and we should be proud of them.

anyone who bad mouthes them should be ashamed of them selves.

just M.H.O

alec is it only the english who fought and died in these wars you mention??