just a question

Ring the FAO and ask. It's the only way you can be 100% sure you won't get any grief if anything goes wrong. You can then say ''FAO said it was OK''.........ass covered!.

With all due respect we live in an arse covering age, if the shit hit the fan and you had a verbal response from a FEO, and he had a different version who do you think the court would believe?

Email is a better option, and many forces are happy to respond in this way these days, then you have it in writing! Let them argue with that!

ATB! :thumbs:

• 3 weeks later...

I nearly failed on my application as my referee said I had been out shooting with him - my FEO said this was illegal and I would be refused and my referee could lose his licence... thankfully my referee didn't say what I'd been shooting (and of course he meant a sub 12ft/lb air rifle, not his spare .22LR...:S)

So I approached both BASC and Sporting Rifle and asked them their opinions and they both quoted the estate law "owner or his agent" which means I could borrow a rifle that isn't mine as long as I'm within sight or earshot.

The BASC guy followed this up by saying - "I'm a professional stalking guide and don't own my own land - how do you think I'm able to take people out and lend them a rifle?!"

So I think the BASC guy nailed it, but obviously I still just have to do whatever my FEO says - which seems to vary from county to county - would you believe for example that I'm not allowed to lamp fox with my .243?!?!! I see people doing it in magazines all the time but FEO says it's overkill under the Home Office guidelines and I should get a .222!!!

Anyway, I digress - I think the point here is the Firearms licencing guys are superb in my opinion, but woefully under-resourced. I can sit here chatting rubbish on forums as part of my 9-5 office job, but they're trying to cover 2000+ cert holders each as well as fireworks, majicians, etc, in my county! I can't say I blame him for being pretty straight-line with his interpretation! As we've seen recently on the press - if we mess up it's the police that get the grief!