Hazel Tealers?

Guest Rabbiteer

Guest Rabbiteer

Do any of you guys have any pics or drawings of peg snares before we started to use metal tealers?

I have heard mention of Hazel Tealers?

Would be very grateful for your help.

Cheers,

Nik

Guest Rabbiteer

Cheers mate.

Heard of some Navy guys teaching snares that take two hours to set, Im trying to update there information to the modernish times. All they would need for that snare would be the wire and a bit of string.

Thanks for your help.

NIk

I'd hold your horses if I were you, until you've had some input from the real experts on here. The people who have actually used hazel tealers and can tell you what the pitfalls are.

As I said, I don't qualify .......

Guest foxtrack

B)-->

QUOTE(john b @ Mar 30 2007, 09:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd hold your horses if I were you, until you've had some input from the real experts on here. The people who have actually used hazel tealers and can tell you what the pitfalls are.

As I said, I don't qualify .......

i can tell you the pit falls are

but i wont becouse they were hard work i must have been thick then

did'ent ever think of wire.

just forget the hazel and stick with wire mate it's the only and best way to go

Guest foxtrack
There have been, hundreds of thousands of rabbits taken in snares supported by hazel tealers throughout the UK :D

We had the 'Moonlighter snares ' darn sarf for a long time,.these were basically the same as the wire tealers that most folk prefer to use today,..but back then,..there was a marked reluctance to change ;)

Personally,.I enjoyed my snaring (and my lamping) far more in the 70' and 80's ...

The hazel tealers would have an angled top and a slit would be made a few inches down to accept the tail of the snare. I used to 'lift' the wire up onto the tealer and allow it to rest in an upright, yet angled position.

The noose was always made 'pear shaped' and was generally a wee bit smaller than today.

The wire ( often 8 strand ) was attached to orange baler twine and half hitched or threaded through a nice ash 'tent peg'...Some of our massive pegs could of held back the Queen Mary... :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Things have changed,... ;) Time moves on.... :drink:

it's funny realy how we get stuck in our way's

im the same with the belman and old deben doxes

i cant get my head arond the new stuff

i always used hazzel prick pegs but once i used wire it made me make my

mind up .an all in one unit, the best way to go :yes: