Digging foxes

Fair enough chay but im just going say this terrier which arent up to the standard are weaking the breed.

also imo i think your throwing the 100% figure around a bit too generously after all terriers were orginally breed to be dug to, not to bolt .

Anyway thanks for your opinion im just giving mine back :big_boss: :thumbs-up:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest foxtrack

chay i never said your dog is shit

what i said is it's heart cant be in it if you can call her out

and i honestley belive this

i also said that if the dog suits your needs then best of luck

with them every one to thier own

we've all got a right to reply to topics have'nt we thats why it's

a working terrier forum, some time's you may not get the

replys you would like to hear and it may piss you off

but it's only an oppinion of someone else but like i said if

your happy with them that's a'll that matters :yes:

Guest grubygrafter

this comes up over and over again. why do people pull down dogs becouse they are not THEIR ideal type

whats the problem with good boltin terriers. shout out terriers terriers that stay for an hour. .............

absolutely nothing thats what. the terrier has shouted out its not a digging dog. it wont enter the chain of digging dogs as the guy never said its a digging dog. bo9lting terriers are far more productive than dogs you have to dig to and so are superier to digging dogs for that job. they are totally different and both have there uses. i8'm not going to pull down digging dogs becouse i admire them . but i prefare a more usefull animal :kiss:

The key word there is "less effort". to me it sounds like you jus dont want to dig foxes.

as for more foxes i disagree i think esspecially when only on foxes a digging terrier will get as many digs as a bolting terrier will have bolts.

Well ddsr you should come up here to the highlands and try and dig some of our cairns (piles of boulders and rocks) you put a hard dog in them and he or she thinks your going to come and get them they'll have a long f*cking wait because these places are undiggable. Yes I love digging and would rather do it but I wouldn't put a hard terrier in to these places because you may never see them again. Its fine if you can go round earths that are diggable and dig all the time but for some people a bolter is needed. You never hear of pest control or you just do it for the craic?

it's entirely horses for courses lads.

this season i've accounted for 300 ish head of game with five of my dogs and three that the lads bring along, we have encounted every conceivable type of earth from artificials to drains to big spots(50+ holes) to deep spots(1 holers 10' +) to rabbit warrens, even had a good dig in a reduntant sewer complex..

what i'm getting at is that i didn't use the dog that will stay forever in the deep 50+ holer on the roadside, i used my non-stick old bitch that i know will give it half hour max then come off( we didn't want to dig this place because of the close proximity of the road but as it happened we had her out with her fox at 18", phew)

similarly i didn't use that bitch when we'd marked one to ground in deep single holer in the middle of a keepered place( we dropped a promising 3 yr old dog in who stuck to the job for just under 5 hrs whilst we thrashed our way through 10' of ironstone, BONUS, ther was a brace of dog foxes there)

imo if your doing a serious amount of digging you can't have a kennel full of any one particular style of workers, sooner or later you'll come unstuck.

CONCLUSION- i love hard dogs, to me they are everything i like in terriers BUT if i could only keep one terrier it would be the bay and stay type, i think this style of working gets a very satisfactory conclusion in 9 out of 10 digs( for me it would be 15lb patt bitch)

cheers VINNIE :drink:

Guest grubygrafter
The key word there is "less effort". to me it sounds like you jus dont want to dig foxes.

as for more foxes i disagree i think esspecially when only on foxes a digging terrier will get as many digs as a bolting terrier will have bolts.

i have dug a few foxes. but i prefare a clean bolt :) i do everything possible to ensure i get a bolt. sometimes i need to dig but thats the way of it :( in my line of work i do a lot of hand digging so i try to avoid it when i can :D

what i wont do is slag off other types that dont suit me. anyone involved with terriers in any way will get a good word off me. infact anyone thats not against terrierwork is on my side and be it foxing ratting showing or pet owner if they dont mind what i do i dont mind what they do :victory:

I have a totally mute dog who is an excellent worker but can only be worked once a month 'cos of the damage he sustains. Funnily enough, bayers aren't always bolting machines; sometimes a hard dog will force a bolt when a bayer can't.

Guest foxtrack
the fact that with a bolting terrier i could go out and get more foxes in less time with less effort and less damage to dogs and earths

so here it is again ( more foxes in less time and less effort) ??????

it's not a numbers game mate it's all about working your

dogs. to test them , and dig to them.

to find out what your terrier is all about ?

and has for less effort ? i dont think i'll even answer that one :icon_eek::icon_eek:

i dont mind bayer's ive got one now but he'll bay till the fox

does bolt or dug to .

i had another bayer last year to that would bay then move

away from her foe and let it bolt ,it all looked good but that bitch shit her selfe

if she found any thing under a few bay's move on and the fox

would come out soon after with the bitch right on his arse

but the fox came out on his own without the help of the bitch

all she done was wake him up .

and the funny thing is i could call her out easy ?

qween her name and now she sit's in dog heaven

with her lead crown on her head and wonders

what went wrong :yes:

Guest grubygrafter

i dig holes everyday foxtrack. with shovel pick an bar. ive got f****d hip back and shoulder to prove it

so i dont need to prove f**k all to anyone else probably dig more in a year than most dig in a lifetime my point is. i dont want to dig any more i am sick of digging at work and at weekends

would the fox have came out if you had'nt entered the bitch. no....

as for testing your dog.work it whatever way you like. as i do mine

as for the numbers game if i need a dog to work afew foxes on a few farms then. i cant spend half a shift at each hole as i hav'nt the time

and the last bit well there your dogs your choice .

i will also say that i know a few that have put away dogs that did'nt suit at the time to regret it later in life ;)

Guest foxtrack

i can see where your coming from mate like iv'e said

all along everyone to thier own we're all got our own opinion

im the same as yu mate ibuprofen works for me

just overdose on digging days :yes::yes:

In my experience bolting terriers and terriers you call out can fail to find foxs , i no because a DIGGING dog is tried after and gets the job done ,they can lack the determination that is needed to get it done weather bolted or dug to.