springer spaniel help

the dog sounds like its intelligent, you need really gamey ground, I can assure you if game is in there the dog will hit the cover hard, if not the dog is unlikely to hit cover for the sake of it... some will but its not necessary..enjoy the dog, and don't pt too much pressure on it, they know better then us, their nose will lead them to game

You dont rely on a dog day to day to do your job then?

Just letting your dog go in game invested ground is not a method of training... Working a dog is not a walk in the park

the dog would distroy the bush if there was something in it. she wont go in if its pointless get her on a good scent she wont let you down. dont confuss her with trying to make her work a empty bush wastes time and makes her watch you rather than hunt.

Exactly

Thats not the point here trying to keep a tidy methodical reliable dog is, if never seen a dog distro brush ive seen plenty of dogs duck and dive and jump stuff driving game from bramble patches and the like.

Think your starting to miss the point about getting the dog to do as you need.. plenty of game sits in tight and as a dogs brain is a third devoted to its nose it can get distracted by other scents if a dog doesn't cover an entire length of hedge row something may be missed and for me being as efficient as possible is important as well as all this dog having fun and the like...

With all respect. I have not missed the point at all. My dog finds game in the deepest of cover. But will not go in if there is nothing in there. An example of his good nose is - last season on the shoot one of the guys shot a hen pheasant that went down in deep cover. Three cockers went in and not one found it. I walked up with my dog (as that part of the shoot was completed) and sent him in. I was told not to bother as the other dogs could not find it. He found it in no time at all. He would not have gone in if there was nothing in there and I would not expect him to.

the dog would distroy the bush if there was something in it. she wont go in if its pointless get her on a good scent she wont let you down. dont confuss her with trying to make her work a empty bush wastes time and makes her watch you rather than hunt.
With all respect. I have not missed the point at all. My dog finds game in the deepest of cover. But will not go in if there is nothing in there. An example of his good nose is - last season on the shoot one of the guys shot a hen pheasant that went down in deep cover. Three cockers went in and not one found it. I walked up with my dog (as that part of the shoot was completed) and sent him in. I was told not to bother as the other dogs could not find it. He found it in no time at all. He would not have gone in if there was nothing in there and I would not expect him to.

Sorry lads bit disagree with you to a point. yes of course a dog will follow secnt and there are plenty of springers out there that will tip along the side of a heavy ditch until it picks up an a pheasent, partridge or rabbit trail and then hit cover in pursuit of it.

But what about anything else that is laying up within the hedgerow that the dog may have missed, when i am out hunting i send either of my springers into cover and they will hunt it the whole way down. the amount of woodcock i have seen other spaniels pass because they were not hunting their cover properly is unreal. dont forget woodcock dont tend to run about pickin glike other groung game and is essential that a good rough shooting springer hunts its cover like a demon. When i am out shooting all different types of ground i expect my dogs to hunt all the heavy cover aswell as quater their ground well on sedgy grass and bog heather if needs be.

Exactly

What they said, dont force her to work empty bushes, let her do her own thing, to be honnest she knows better, just dont let her run on too far.