how do you get in to puppy walking foxhounds for your local hunt?

If you are deemed suitable and responsible and the right sort of person to walk a pup for a pack of hounds, then you may be approached by the Huntsman or Master. If you are entrusted to walk a pup, you must teach it it's name, manners and above all else in my opinion, make it 110% stockproof to sheep, cattle, horses poultry of all sorts and ANYTHING else other than its prey species.

A hound pup will also need to be lead trained and walked as much as you like when ready. If you were to be entrusted with the education of a pup mate take it as a compliment.

A step in the right direction to get asked would be to start following a pack regularly, blend in, dont be the chopsy twat that knows it all, you will be getting assesed all the time as to your suitabillity without you knowing. No need for name dropping and i've done this and done that as some (we've all seen them), just go and enjoy the hunting. If your the right sort of person in their opinion for the job then you may well be approached.

Sorry for the long reply, but I have tried to cover all points.

hope it helps, good luck.

B

• Like 1

If you are deemed suitable and responsible and the right sort of person to walk a pup for a pack of hounds, then you may be approached by the Huntsman or Master. If you are entrusted to walk a pup, you must teach it it's name, manners and above all else in my opinion, make it 110% stockproof to sheep, cattle, horses poultry of all sorts and ANYTHING else other than its prey species.

A hound pup will also need to be lead trained and walked as much as you like when ready. If you were to be entrusted with the education of a pup mate take it as a compliment.

A step in the right direction to get asked would be to start following a pack regularly, blend in, dont be the chopsy twat that knows it all, you will be getting assesed all the time as to your suitabillity without you knowing. No need for name dropping and i've done this and done that as some (we've all seen them), just go and enjoy the hunting. If your the right sort of person in their opinion for the job then you may well be approached.

Sorry for the long reply, but I have tried to cover all points.

hope it helps, good luck.

B

Thank you for the detailed reply much appreciated. so there is no chance of just ringing up the kennels and asking then? I am also considering helping out at the kennels, how do I go about doing this? Do you do anything involving hounds? Cheers mate

You could ask if there was any help needed at the kennels mate, but dont be offended if your offer is treated suspiciously as in the current climate, you cant give access to people you dont know to such a valuable commodity as a pack of foxhounds. Theres some (and i'm not implying that you are) right shifty fuckers about these days. If you get a start helping out, bring up the subject then. Personnally I would be a bit suspicious of someone who phoned up, offered to help in the kennell and wanted to walk a pup all at the same time, although the offer may well be perfectly genuine, staff in hunt service are , quite rightly, very cautios of over keen starngers that want to help. Anti's come in all shapes and forms. Show willing yes, but being a bit pushy doesn't always go down well in hunt service, gently gently catchey monkey. I hope you are genuine and someone takes you up on your kind offer.

Trust me , theres nothing like watching your hound that you reared from a pup, entering and hunting hard with his pack, acheivment, and pride spring to mind.

B

You could ask if there was any help needed at the kennels mate, but dont be offended if your offer is treated suspiciously as in the current climate, you cant give access to people you dont know to such a valuable commodity as a pack of foxhounds. Theres some (and i'm not implying that you are) right shifty fuckers about these days. If you get a start helping out, bring up the subject then. Personnally I would be a bit suspicious of someone who phoned up, offered to help in the kennell and wanted to walk a pup all at the same time, although the offer may well be perfectly genuine, staff in hunt service are , quite rightly, very cautios of over keen starngers that want to help. Anti's come in all shapes and forms. Show willing yes, but being a bit pushy doesn't always go down well in hunt service, gently gently catchey monkey. I hope you are genuine and someone takes you up on your kind offer.

Trust me , theres nothing like watching your hound that you reared from a pup, entering and hunting hard with his pack, acheivment, and pride spring to mind.

B

yes i can understand it might raise suspicions because of the sneaky sly ways of the anti b*****ds who have made things difficult for people getting in to this sort of thing. whats made me ask is I have just finished watching "hounds * the huntsman" on horse & country TV and i suppose you can say has inspired me to want to get involved. I work dogs and was interested in how someone would get in to the hunt service working with the hounds etc. Thanks for your timely and detailed response

My pleasure mate, I hope it helps you get into the world of hounds, its time well spent and in great company, both canine and human.

I saw that programme myself a while ago, very good, not all packs are as proffessionally run as that one, some may not be MFH (registered) but may be a farmers pack, but the only difference will be the title, you'll have terriffic sport with one and all.

Enjoy your hunting.

B