When to start a young dog

Hi I am looking for some advice I have got myself a young dog he is bred from a 22 inch lurcher bitch greyhound x austrailian cattledog,his dad is a 20 inch racing wippet,and is now nearly 7 months old,I have had him since 8/10 wk so I know the dogs training history,he is retreiving well fur and feather,he is sitting and waitng well, sitting at distance at minute around 20 yds away general behavour spot on and loves to swim, and has caught one rabbit in summer,in long grass,its 26yrs since I owned a lurcher,and have spent alot of time training labs spaniels and pointers,and I know things have moved on regards training lurchers,this yr I was going to just concentrate on general behaviour,and using him on rabbits bolted to nets,and maybee look at the lamping side next yr, Can anyone give me any info on the breed or any pointers when to start him,I like this dog and dont want to screw him up,too many people giving different opinions,he is well grown now just around 22inch well built and absolute lightning over short distance he allso seams to have reasonable amount of stamina,I have failed to upload any photos will keep trying though

Thanks for that what do you think about over nets, I have some rabbits to do next week,very thin fields no more than 80yds across with thick hedges,I will be bolting to longnets,and do you know anything about the cattle dog side of things I am told its becoming popular, I got the dog very cheap,and the dog and bitch were the size I wanted,well happy with him at moment