Mole Traps

Ive been over the last couple of years picking up old mole traps for a few pounds here and there I can now say its becoming an obsession .

What appeals to me about them is the vast array what can be found inparticular the Artisan stuff and the clever little designs people use for the trigger mechanisms every one i can see working to some degree.

I personally have never tried any and stick to using the Duffus and scissor types anyway ive attached a few pics of what ive got ive excluded the 30 plus scissors i have from the pics with the exception of a few .

Have a look and see if theres some you have which are nt in my collection as im always interested in purchasing the ones i dont have in particular the flat top double loop Fenn and any wooden handmade pieces.

Jim

post-63336-0-20196900-1316968300.jpg

post-63336-0-45484700-1316968326.jpg

post-63336-0-31800300-1316968354.jpg

I like the photos Molemanjim,looks an interesting collection youve got there.I noticed both half and full wooden barrel traps among them.It reminded me of a mole catching booklet i received (many years ago now!)and with it came detailed plans,on how to construct the half barrel wooden mole trap.Unfortunately im not very handy that way,so i never attempted to make one!

What is the third trap from the bottom left on the first two pictures? Is that really a mole trap? I have never seen anything like it.

I dont think you will see another either Its certainly an homemade affair and definately a ONE OFF . I put some string in it and set it but lack of power in the spring wouldnt kill a mole but it would certainly hold it. It was picked up 6-7 mths ago from a collectors fair for a £1 , and for that money i couldnt resist bearing in mind some one somewhere put time and effort into making it or more to the point "putting a few bits of metal together" in hopes of catching a mole :D

Another molecatcher in my neck of the woods,was telling me not too long ago,that his brother also does a bit of trapping.He only traps in gardens now,but what was surprising to me, was the fact he was using the old FULL barrel traps!He actually prefered them to any type of metal trap.Has anybody on here any experience with these old style traps,and how effective they are ?

Thanks, Jim, but I really can't even see how that would work as a mole trap. Would the triggering mechanism be similar to the little wooden piece that is used on the full barrel wooden mole traps? What is the ring on that trap towards the bottom of the picture, is that just to stake the trap down and not a functional part of the trap?

I just can't quite see how that thing is designed to work.

Great pictures by the way, so fascinating to see all those old mole traps. I have a few myself, mostly American traps, but some British and European traps as well. I love them.

Another molecatcher in my neck of the woods,was telling me not too long ago,that his brother also does a bit of trapping.He only traps in gardens now,but what was surprising to me, was the fact he was using the old FULL barrel traps!He actually prefered them to any type of metal trap.Has anybody on here any experience with these old style traps,and how effective they are ?

They were certainly effective in their day but for deeper runs bigger holes needed to be dug for the enormous spring. i personally have not used any

Thanks, Jim, but I really can't even see how that would work as a mole trap. Would the triggering mechanism be similar to the little wooden piece that is used on the full barrel wooden mole traps? What is the ring on that trap towards the bottom of the picture, is that just to stake the trap down and not a functional part of the trap?

I just can't quite see how that thing is designed to work.

Great pictures by the way, so fascinating to see all those old mole traps. I have a few myself, mostly American traps, but some British and European traps as well. I love them.

Yes the ring is of no use in the setting of the trap and yes the trigger is i gather a little forked stick . I will re string it and show you how i think it works. Like i said in the earlier post someone as had a go at making a mole trap made from bits they had lying around it works in a fashion but they werent ever gonna rich from it :D

If theres any traps you want from over here give us a shout as im sure we could do a swap or two :thumbs: as theres a few from over there i would like :thumbs:

Earth thrower ive never tried the wooden barrels not because they dont work just mine are a bit fragile and burying them in damp earth may just finish them off :laugh: