what's the proper age for you dog to start coursing with the lamp?

well a have 6 1/2 month old dog stands 20tts should make 24,25tts sal/collie/beddy/grey and a take him on the lamp now and again to watch the older dogs and a run now and again and he watches the lamp realy well and now and again a let him have a run with the older dogs on a rabbit and he realy trys his hardest but no serious work till the back end of the season around 10 11 month

the more they watch from a young age the more they learn

JMO MAITLAND

i took my whippet grey out last nite just to watch an experienced dog work the lamp there was a rabbit sitting far out so i thought i would give him a chance he gave it a really good run then nailed it as it tryed to get under a hedge later on i slipped him again with the older dog and disaster he ran straight in to the side of the dog and hit the deck screaming he got up after a couple of seconds and came straight back he is nearly 7 month now but i will not be taking him back out for a couple of month now and when i do he will be by his self single handed its my fault for being impatient

• 3 months later...

If its only lamping i would start a bitch about 14 months and a dog about 18 JMO so as yea said no smart comments please

no 18 month thats to late they run greyhounds on a track at 15 month old i reckon about 12 month depending on how the dog takes to it.