I have been considering buying a bsa ultra / or lightning airgun but i was in the local gun shop enquiring about price etc and he informs me he no longer deals with bsa due to problems with quality/delays on spare parts etc.Apparently there is a lot of problems due to transfer of operation to Spain.I am wondering now whether to buy one in case i have problems especially with a pcp gun.Has anyone on here had problems recently with long waits for repairs,where do you actually send them to and is it expensive.Thanks for any help.

A lot of newer Lightnings have had quality control issues since manufacturing was moved to Spain. I've not heard of many issues with Ultras, although mine was missing a circlip off the safety, which I only discovered stalking a rabbit with the gun cocked. Fortunately, I had thick boots on at the time, otherwise it'd have been a trip to casualty :o

With the Ultra in particular, it's well worth considering buying one second hand. The guys over on BSAOG tend to be a good bunch and a lot of Ultras sell there. The advantage with buying secondhand is if you pick a good seller, you know the gun doesn't have issues, and you may well get one with a regulator and/or decent silencer fitted. The HW silencer really is a must have, as it makes the gun virtually silent and the reg transforms a good gun into an amazing one.

A lot of newer Lightnings have had quality control issues since manufacturing was moved to Spain. I've not heard of many issues with Ultras, although mine was missing a circlip off the safety, which I only discovered stalking a rabbit with the gun cocked. Fortunately, I had thick boots on at the time, otherwise it'd have been a trip to casualty :o

With the Ultra in particular, it's well worth considering buying one second hand. The guys over on BSAOG tend to be a good bunch and a lot of Ultras sell there. The advantage with buying secondhand is if you pick a good seller, you know the gun doesn't have issues, and you may well get one with a regulator and/or decent silencer fitted. The HW silencer really is a must have, as it makes the gun virtually silent and the reg transforms a good gun into an amazing one.

Is it possible to upgrade an ultra to a FAC,with it on your licence , at a later date if required or does small capacity cylinder rule it out .thanks for your help.

You'll get about 20 shots per fill at FAC levels, which may or may not be practical, depending on how you use it.

To be honest, I think an FAC Ultra is a bit of a pointless exercise. You won't get any significant increase in range and it's perfectly capable of dropping quarry at sub 12ft. Getting it regulated is a better option IMO, as you can still shoot where you like, your shot count goes up significantly, and it becomes even more consistent.

You'll get about 20 shots per fill at FAC levels, which may or may not be practical, depending on how you use it.

To be honest, I think an FAC Ultra is a bit of a pointless exercise. You won't get any significant increase in range and it's perfectly capable of dropping quarry at sub 12ft. Getting it regulated is a better option IMO, as you can still shoot where you like, your shot count goes up significantly, and it becomes even more consistent.

Any idea how much the cost is to get gun regulated and who actually does it.Thanks .

hi mate my son,s bsa t10 synthetic was sent back to bsa as the stock came away and wud not re tighten went to my local gun shop and off it went to bsa 2 weeks latter and they sent a new one back in it place then 3 weeks latter it started loosing air so off to bsa again they over hauled the hole gun and sent it back with in 2 weeks and it,s been mint ever since iv had no problems with bsa after market service. hope this helps .jim