vaccinations for chicks

anyone know....i have got five 3 week old chicks now in the garden ,when should i think about getting them vaccinated.... cheers

Hello Blackdug,

Modern hybrids lack resistance and so they are generally vaccinated. Most traditional breeds are, or should be, bred for resistance. With a few exceptions of particular traditional breeds that are prone to a particular disease and so are commonly vaccinated against that. What kind of chickens are they?

sorry i never got back to you about what vaccinations....i ain,t no expert when it comes to chickens but i have seen loads of ads over the years for young chickens for sale and they all state that they have been vaccinated... what for i ain,t to sure !!!,,but i have about 8 warrens now that are getting on in age but are hardy buggers and they have seen off alot off other birds that i have brought in over the last couple of years that i know for sure were unvaccinated ...i was told the warrens were fully jabbed when i got them but i stupidly never asked what injections they had been given but what ever it was they have never shown much sign of illness and i put this down to more than being hardy ...the birds are thai (supposedly)and i hatched them out from under a broody warren ,,the eggs were not cheap and i have put a bit of graft into them so i don,t want to lose them to something simple that i could have prevented for a few quid!!!!any input before i have to phone the robbers(the vet)

Most of these chicks will not be vaccinated for salmonella at that age maybe infectious bronchitis and when a bit older for newcastles diesease but salmonella vaccines are usually jabbed at about 14 weeks give or take 2 weeks.

Some strains may also be vaccinated for infectious bursal diesease. IMHO its not worth the trouble of getting them done but you may find a vet who will do them cheap enough, generally salmonella won't kill the chickens off it usually just uses them as a host, if a house of chickens on my farm tests positive for salmonella it won't show at all and all that happens then it that they got into the factory as last birds of the day so the factory can get washed down stright afterwards.