Ferreting advice needed

Hi all.

I would like to get into ferreting in the Yorkshire area. I have joined the site today as I'm am looking for someone to give me advice on how to go about it. Any advice would be welcome and much appreciated.

Thanks

Hi all.

I would like to get into ferreting in the Yorkshire area. I have joined the site today as I'm am looking for someone to give me advice on how to go about it. Any advice would be welcome and much appreciated.

Thanks

right u need a hucth water/feed bowls ferret food a locator and collar a spade purse nets a ferret box for carrying and last but not least a ferret and knock on doors to ask for permission and books dvds and learn as much as u can before u buy any thing ow and bedding and they need cleaned every day trust me it stops the hucth from smelling so much

Edited by BIGLURKS

Hi all.

Thanks

right u need a hucth water/feed bowls ferret food a locator and collar a spade purse nets a ferret box for carrying and last but not least a ferret and knock on doors to ask for permission and books dvds and learn as much as u can before u buy any thing ow and bedding and they need cleaned every day trust me it stops the hucth from smelling so much

Thank you for you reply.

I already have the full ferret keeping set up and own a few ferrets. Not sure whether they are good workers at all though lol. I'm talking to a man about getting a mk3 finder and 2 collars and 200 nets, so I should have this very soon. Sorry, I probably should have mentioned that. I have read up on it, and I am very keen to get started. I just don't want to dive in without asking people who know what they are talking about first. I think it might be a good idea to try and find someone who will let me shadow them, and learn that way. I don't really want to go out on my own first and risk my ferrets etc. Does anyone know of any keen ferreters in the West Yorkshire area who could possibly let me tag along? That would be amazing.

i was literally about to say .. ask around if you can tag along with someone.

a mate of mine whos worked dogs and ferrets all his life knew i went shooting.. so he took me along ended up wanting some ferrets and he kept taking me and i picked everything i need to know off him.. im still learning alot though

weather they are good workers or not.. all you can do is try them... put them infront of the hole and see what happens.. i got my 2 off someone on here and wasnt sure how they would work but there excellent.. they literally drag the rabbit out.. were as the mate who i went with he has one lazy ferret that just cant be bothered.. his other 2 are emence though.

good luck!

i was literally about to say .. ask around if you can tag along with someone.

a mate of mine whos worked dogs and ferrets all his life knew i went shooting.. so he took me along ended up wanting some ferrets and he kept taking me and i picked everything i need to know off him.. im still learning alot though

weather they are good workers or not.. all you can do is try them... put them infront of the hole and see what happens.. i got my 2 off someone on here and wasnt sure how they would work but there excellent.. they literally drag the rabbit out.. were as the mate who i went with he has one lazy ferret that just cant be bothered.. his other 2 are emence though.

good luck!

Yeah it looks like shadowing is going to be the plan. Ha mine are pretty lazy but I suppose we shall see. Cheers and good luck to you too.

Hi mate, where in yorkshire r u ??

Hi, I'm in Leeds but from Newcastle originally so don't know the area very well so I don't know how close I am to you in Baildon your profile says.

lol gutted mate.. if you were still around Newcastle i would of took ya out.. well would of got me dad too cos' i can hardly walk atm lol

Hi mate, where in yorkshire r u ??

Hi, I'm in Leeds but from Newcastle originally so don't know the area very well so I don't know how close I am to you in Baildon your profile says.

lol gutted mate.. if you were still around Newcastle i would of took ya out.. well would of got me dad too cos' i can hardly walk atm lol

Ah that is proppa gutting! I do pop home for the odd weekend so on my next trip home I'll get in touch and see if you're planning venturing out, if that's ok. Hopefully by then I'll know the basics haha.