Guest cheesegrater

moira , what day is the terriers ,and are we quarantined in the bog at the front of the show again ,atb cg

CG

The terriers events are on the Saturday 28th at Moira and no one is quarantined in a bog at the front of the show. All those entering the lurcher, terrier and whippet events, like everyone else, are entitled to pay the adult entry fee if they want to see round the rest of the show but if they do not wish to they can still enter the showing and racing activities separately. We the event organisers meet with the organising club well in advance of the shows each year and agree where the showing and racing will take place and in what format. The ground conditions are not moss and peat so therefore not bog and as someone who has lived and worked both terriers and lurchers for many years on bog ground, I can assure you there is quite a difference. The weather we cannot change, so it really comes down to whether the going is soft, good or firm on the day and the conditions will be the same for all dogs entered at the Lurcher, Terrier and Whippet events.

fair enough,, think you know where im coming though ,hardly the bowling green up above where the hooray henrys saunter about in their unstained barbours ,just feel the lurcher and terrier men are always corralled away out of sight from the main events, ps same in shanes !!!!

CG

There are a number of satellite events that need a significant amount of space in which to operate. These include Lurchers & Terriers, Clay Pigeon Shooting, Gundogs etc. As far as our Lurcher & Terrier events go, they are only 70 metres from the centre of the fair site. We in no way are trying to corral anyone away out of site but by the same token everything cannot run in the main arena. If you look through our main fair site on any of the days that lurcher & terrier events are running you will see many owners and their dogs right there in the middle of all the activities and this is how we feel it should be. You will also see on our galleries that the winners of the lurcher and terrier events are taken into the main arena for presentations, not an act of something we would be trying to hide. I personally have never worked any of my dogs on bowling greens and certainly wouldn't advocate we introduce this at the fair. I would rather they race on as close to the natural terrain as they are used to and we feel in doing this that we are also giving the competitors the flexibility to choose whether they want to come into the main fair site or simply race and show their dogs in the lurcher & terrier area.

NO PROBLEM MATE SEE YOU THERE :thumbs:

moira , what day is the terriers ,and are we quarantined in the bog at the front of the show again ,atb cg

CG

The terriers events are on the Saturday 28th at Moira and no one is quarantined in a bog at the front of the show. All those entering the lurcher, terrier and whippet events, like everyone else, are entitled to pay the adult entry fee if they want to see round the rest of the show but if they do not wish to they can still enter the showing and racing activities separately. We the event organisers meet with the organising club well in advance of the shows each year and agree where the showing and racing will take place and in what format. The ground conditions are not moss and peat so therefore not bog and as someone who has lived and worked both terriers and lurchers for many years on bog ground, I can assure you there is quite a difference. The weather we cannot change, so it really comes down to whether the going is soft, good or firm on the day and the conditions will be the same for all dogs entered at the Lurcher, Terrier and Whippet events.

fair enough,, think you know where im coming though ,hardly the bowling green up above where the hooray henrys saunter about in their unstained barbours ,just feel the lurcher and terrier men are always corralled away out of sight from the main events, ps same in shanes !!!!

Cheesegrater,

Absolute nonsense about Shanes Castle - you may have a legitimate point about Moira but not Shanes Castle. At Shanes the Terrier & Lurchers are NOT hidden away but very much part of the show and within the main fair area in the same field as the bar & catering; the Fisherman's Row ; The Casting Competitions; the pedigree dog show; the dog agility show and the horse and carriage ring. Their position at Shanes Castle is dictated by the area needed for the superb racing course which is like a bowling green!

I understand that Lisburn Council ( Moira's backers) expressed concern about Lurchers at the fair and I assume the Moira organisers have reacted to this by putting them outside the main fair.

There is also a REAL difference in how they are promoted - how many terrier & lurchers have you seen at a NCF press reception? And of course a HUGE difference in prize funds.

I would ask you to name one Game or Country Fair in the whole of the Uk where terrier & lurcher owners are treated better than at Shanes Castle.

Albertj

Edited by IrishNationalCountryFairs

CG

Cheesegrater,

Absolute nonsense about Shanes Castle - you may have a legitimate point about Moira but not Shanes Castle. At Shanes the Terrier & Lurchers are NOT hidden away but very much part of the show and within the main fair area in the same field as the bar & catering; the Fisherman's Row ; The Casting Competitions; the pedigree dog show; the dog agility show and the horse and carriage ring. Their position at Shanes Castle is dictated by the area needed for the superb racing course which is like a bowling green!

I understand that Lisburn Council ( Moira's backers) expressed concern about Lurchers at the fair and I assume the Moira organisers have reacted to this by putting them outside the main fair.

There is also a REAL difference in how they are promoted - how many terrier & lurchers have you seen at a NCF press reception? And of course a HUGE difference in prize funds.

I would ask you to name one Game or Country Fair in the whole of the Uk where terrier & lurcher owners are treated better than at Shanes Castle.

Albertj

Albert

We speak for the Moira Game Fair and how we run it! If the organising club is happy with where their Lurcher & Terrier event is situated within the fair site, then that is good enough for us! Let us also provide a little clarity; our fair continues to have the full support of Lisburn Council; and yes that is ALL aspects of the fair.

CG

Cheesegrater,

Albertj

Albert

We speak for the Moira Game Fair and how we run it! If the organising club is happy with where their Lurcher & Terrier event is situated within the fair site, then that is good enough for us! Let us also provide a little clarity; our fair continues to have the full support of Lisburn Council; and yes that is ALL aspects of the fair.

Thanks for addressing me by name - pity I don't know yours! I thought the name of the fair was the National Countrysports Fair not an apparent variant of our brand name and registered trademark of Irish Game Fair. Perhaps relations between us and the fairs would be better if you stuck to promoting your own brand instead of apparently trying to tap into the success of ours. As you are aware because of the incident with Matt Lee I could never co-operate fully with you but at least if you stuck to promoting your own brand we could be 'good neighbours'.

I had heard that the terriers and lurchers had been moved to outside the main fair because of concerns expressed by the Council and/or individual councillors. When I saw your post about it being part of an overall plan, I decided to try to check the authenticty of my original source and googled 'Lisburn Council and Lurchers' and found the following in Council Minutes of the 4 November 2009: ' Mr Beckett and Mr Lutton undertook to give consideration to further comments by Councillor J Tinsley concerning the presence of lurcher dogs and their owners at the Countrysports Fair.'

I wonder was this 'consideration' part of the 'planned' move of terriers and lurchers outside the main fair? But perhaps my orginal information was incorrect and I have misread the content of the minutes - perhaps Councillor Tilsley was suggesting that you bring more Terrier & Lurcher owners in to the Fair.

I genuinely wish Derek well in putting together the fair under difficult conditions - as a veteran of all kinds of weather I understand the difficulties involved in building a fair up from the grass up in inclement conditions - as someone who always puts 100% in myself I always admire a grafter! But why are you not on site helping?

Albertj

Guest cheesegrater

CG

Cheesegrater,

Albertj

Albert

Thanks for addressing me by name - pity I don't know yours! I thought the name of the fair was the National Countrysports Fair not an apparent variant of our brand name and registered trademark of Irish Game Fair. Perhaps relations between us and the fairs would be better if you stuck to promoting your own brand instead of apparently trying to tap into the success of ours. As you are aware because of the incident with Matt Lee I could never co-operate fully with you but at least if you stuck to promoting your own brand we could be 'good neighbours'.

I had heard that the terriers and lurchers had been moved to outside the main fair because of concerns expressed by the Council and/or individual councillors. When I saw your post about it being part of an overall plan, I decided to try to check the authenticty of my original source and googled 'Lisburn Council and Lurchers' and found the following in Council Minutes of the 4 November 2009: ' Mr Beckett and Mr Lutton undertook to give consideration to further comments by Councillor J Tinsley concerning the presence of lurcher dogs and their owners at the Countrysports Fair.'

I wonder was this 'consideration' part of the 'planned' move of terriers and lurchers outside the main fair? But perhaps my orginal information was incorrect and I have misread the content of the minutes - perhaps Councillor Tilsley was suggesting that you bring more Terrier & Lurcher owners in to the Fair.

I genuinely wish Derek well in putting together the fair under difficult conditions - as a veteran of all kinds of weather I understand the difficulties involved in building a fair up from the grass up in inclement conditions - as someone who always puts 100% in myself I always admire a grafter! But why are you not on site helping?

Albertj

Albert it appears i owe you an apology in regards too the Shanes castle comment :icon_redface: ,got my wires crossed,but you have to admit we were hardly in the thick of it at Ballywalter either ( good show all the same )thanks for addressing the MOIRA issue ,they definitely same too have a hierarchy off hunters up there .thanks CG :thumbs:

CG

Cheesegrater,

Albertj

Albert

Albertj

Albertj

We said when we came onto this forum that we were doing so to promote countrysports and do so under our own brand but I think it is time to put a few facts straight:

1) In case anyone is unsure, our name has been the same now for 15 years - National Countrysports Fair.

2) As we are based in Ireland and we run a game fair, in the eyes of most countrysports people we are an Irish Game Fair. As for trading off I am confused as to what we are supposed to be trading off as. Obviously not the Northern Ireland Game Fair - it was sold. Perhaps its the Irish Game Fair and Country Lifestyle Festival - erm NO. Or is it the Great Game Fairs of Ireland - not that one! Oh it must be the Irish Game Fair - well this is a generic description but not our name. In fact the more I think about it...if you don't know the name of your own show, how could be we copy branding it?

3) As for an 'incident with Matt Lee' - I don't know a Matt Lee but please enlighten us about who he is and what this incident is!

And when it comes to reading information on the internet, I, not that long ago, was reading a very interesting article myself from a Scottish based university.

CG

Cheesegrater,

Albertj

Albert

Albertj

Albert it appears i owe you an apology in regards too the Shanes castle comment :icon_redface: ,got my wires crossed,but you have to admit we were hardly in the thick of it at Ballywalter either ( good show all the same )thanks for addressing the MOIRA issue ,they definitely same too have a hierarchy off hunters up there .thanks CG :thumbs:

Cheesegrater,

You are very welcome to come to Shanes Castle on the 25th & 26th June and see where in my humble opinion is one of the best Game Fair layouts for terriers and lurchers at any game or country fair in the UK or Ireland.

In defence of Ballywalter - the terriers and lurchers had better parking than the public and were in a beautiful area running on to the main fair field with the best and most level place for racing and showing. In fact when we decided to take on the Ballywalter Fair again one of the major design constraints of the WHOLE fair was finding the best place to RUN the terrier & lurcher events in order that they could have the race track, good level show rings and good ringside ( or nearly ringside because of the number of cars we couldn't get them all in ringside!)parking.

At Ballywalter you had a premier position with a good track and the only barriers round you were to stop the public wandering on to the track!

AlbertJ

CG

Cheesegrater,

Albertj

Albert

Albertj

Albertj

We said when we came onto this forum that we were doing so to promote countrysports and do so under our own brand but I think it is time to put a few facts straight:

1) In case anyone is unsure, our name has been the same now for 15 years - National Countrysports Fair.

2) As we are based in Ireland and we run a game fair, in the eyes of most countrysports people we are an Irish Game Fair. As for trading off I am confused as to what we are supposed to be trading off as. Obviously not the Northern Ireland Game Fair - it was sold. Perhaps its the Irish Game Fair and Country Lifestyle Festival - erm NO. Or is it the Great Game Fairs of Ireland - not that one! Oh it must be the Irish Game Fair - well this is a generic description but not our name. In fact the more I think about it...if you don't know the name of your own show, how could be we copy branding it?

3) As for an 'incident with Matt Lee' - I don't know a Matt Lee but please enlighten us about who he is and what this incident is!

And when it comes to reading information on the internet, I, not that long ago, was reading a very interesting article myself from a Scottish based university.

Bill - I assume its Bill -but what threw me a little was I can't remember you ever having and certainly not running lurchers.

To be clear on branding our brand names and registered trade marks are the Irish Game Fair and the Irish Gaame and Country Fair. As you say your brand name is the National Countrysports Fair NOT the Moira Game Fair or as you have on your poster GAME FAIR,MOIRA .

As you know from my PM all we would like you to do is use your own brand name to help avoid public confusion amongst the various events. I can assure you we won't impinge on your brand name!

Our objective has always been to make our events different from yours so that people would wish to go to both rather than one. When people go to Shanes Castle on the 25th & 26th June they will obviously see some similarities but by bringing in many new attractions and upping the standard of similar attractions they should see a quite different event to the one at Moira. I cannot understand why you would have apparently different objectives.

Albert

CG

Cheesegrater,

Albertj

Albert

Albertj

Albertj

Bill - I assume its Bill -but what threw me a little was I can't remember you ever having and certainly not running lurchers.

To be clear on branding our brand names and registered trade marks are the Irish Game Fair and the Irish Gaame and Country Fair. As you say your brand name is the National Countrysports Fair NOT the Moira Game Fair or as you have on your poster GAME FAIR,MOIRA .

As you know from my PM all we would like you to do is use your own brand name to help avoid public confusion amongst the various events. I can assure you we won't impinge on your brand name!

Our objective has always been to make our events different from yours so that people would wish to go to both rather than one. When people go to Shanes Castle on the 25th & 26th June they will obviously see some similarities but by bringing in many new attractions and upping the standard of similar attractions they should see a quite different event to the one at Moira. I cannot understand why you would have apparently different objectives.

Albert

.....The Lurcher & Terrier Events Will Commence On Saturday At 11.00am With The Racing Entrys From 10.30am........

.The Showing starts At 1.00pm with a seperate ring for the Whippets..

.Pedro Dog Food will sponsor the Showing / Racing..

.Prizes From Sporting Dog & Hunting Gear Supplied By Charlie Keenan..

.This Show is a Qualiflier For The Midland Game Fair..

The Lurcher & Terrier Events are located at the usual area next to the Main Arena and Remember you DONT

HAVE TO PAY INTO THE MAIN FAIR TO COMPETE / ATTEND THE LURCHER & TERRIER EVENTS...

The Gilford Lurcher & Terrier Club would like to thank the organisers of the Moira Game Fair

for their support and input throughout the years as we look forward to our 13th Annual Show. I think Respect has been shown to the Lurcher & Terrier Competiters considering it's the only Fair of it's

Type where you don't have to pay into the main fair to compete at the Lurcher & Terrier Events.

We look forward to your continued support ...

I.Davison Gilford Lurcher & Terrier Club