Bee keepers near burton on trent,advice needed please,last year i managed to save a small honey bee cast from being nuked,but was informed by a local beek that the cast might not survive the winter because it was so small.Well it did survive after being nursed with glucose and fondant,now im at the stage of do i need to put a super on.I didnt get a smoker,so i cant go prying in the brood box.If a local to B-O-T would come have a look and advise i would be realy grateful.I will gladly cover your traveling cost and offer a drink.Please help if you can because i dont want to lose these bee`s due to a swarm.

Bee keepers near burton on trent,advice needed please,last year i managed to save a small honey bee cast from being nuked,but was informed by a local beek that the cast might not survive the winter because it was so small.Well it did survive after being nursed with glucose and fondant,now im at the stage of do i need to put a super on.I didnt get a smoker,so i cant go prying in the brood box.If a local to B-O-T would come have a look and advise i would be realy grateful.I will gladly cover your traveling cost and offer a drink.Please help if you can because i dont want to lose these bee`s due to a swarm.

Hiya buddy, what are the bees in at the moment? i.e Nuc box of hive, if you get no joy then photos could help us advise you.

Putting a super on wont stop them swarming if thats what they want to do, you need to be looking inside to see what there doing etc, they could be building quenn cells ready to go as we speak, if the hive looks full and made up then always put a super on and super ahead of the bees.

IMO you might as well bang a super on now whilst you looking for Mentorship.

Also it isnt very often i use my smoker but if you have everything but the smoker you could make a very weak suger water and lightly sprey them, ive seen this method used with great results.

ATB D

Thanks for that Doug,they are in a national brood box.I have a local to me beek that had a look about 1 month ago and put another 3 frames on,i think most of the original frames where half to 3/4 drawn out with a few being almost full.I didnt want to ask my local beek to mentor me as he was shut down with disease last year and i knew he would be flat out getting started again,plus he is mentoring another person.With luck a super will be going on on friday,once again thanks for your advice.Paul